First time buyer

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
df

Hi everyone, this will be my first time buying anything of any real quality when it comes to hifi and I have about £500 to spend out on an amplifier and some speakers. After glancing through what Hifi reviews, I have sketched up a rough idea of what I want. I am currently thinking of purchasing a Yamaha A-S500 amp and Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers. Is this a good set up for the money or is there better out there? Thanks very much, Jack

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The Yamaha is a good amp for the money. Also check out the Harman Kardon HK3490 (£260). This has a built-in DAC into which you can connect your TV/DVD/PC.

As for speakers, audition as many as possible. These will make a big difference to the sound and choosing the right pair will ensure long term enjoyment of your Hi-Fi.

If you need cables visit ThatCable.com

Good Luck

A

Anonymous

Hi Jack

I have no idea how good this particular set-up will sound although if this is your first hi-fi purchase I would recommend finding yourself a local dealer and arrange an appointment for a demo.

A good dealer will be able to show you a variety of different products and have the expertise to help you find exactly what you need. You really need to hear what the systems will sound like and just because they get a good review doesn't mean that they sound good to you. You may be able to negotiate a discount on the product or find something better which is available ex-demo.

What source will you be using?

Good luck

Garry

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
There are some who'll no doubt be getting bored of me writing this; but check out the Marantz PM6003 amp. It's way better than the Yamaha and I auditioned it with my cousin who ended up buying it with B&W685 speakers but I actually preferred the Monitor Audios as the vocals sounded much clearer.

wharfe

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi!

for a first time buyer.. hmm, my experience of yamaha is all good.. i've owned 3 yamaha amps, a very natural and powerful sound (even from the cheapo AV yamaha amp I use currently) The BX2's should get a very nice friendship with anything Yamaha, but you should get a variety demonstrated. LISTEN to your ears.... only be GUIDED by review, so many variables.. and even then.. they sound good in the shop but not in your home. ( or vice versa ) I would favour the bx2 over the b&w but may struggle to choose yamaha or marantz.

don't forget.. the answers you get here and now know nothing of the kind of music and volume you like.

The best sounding affordable amp I ever bought was an Alto audio innovation for £450.. they seem hard to find now.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
wharfe said:
LISTEN to your ears.... only be GUIDED by review, so many variables..

Totally agree. I set out to buy Arcam, auditioned it, didn't like it so bought Naim.

Can't agree with you on Yamaha though. Great AV stuff but I find the music side rather synthetic and bland. But again, each to his own.

I still have a work-horse of a Yamaha AX540 amp I dig out for summer parties in the garden!

A

Anonymous

agree strongly with choice of marantz 6003 amp--excellant value an sound for the money and easy to match to speakers. dont be afraid of ebay for 2nd's-you will get lots more for your money--stuff that needs to be collected will be cheaper still. check old posts on whathifi--its well worth the time and you will get much better flavour for your undertaking. quite a few decent denon amps on ebay right now amoungst others. be patient and you ears will love you even more

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts