First serious stereo system

mpst

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
I am looking for stereo system for listening to music. I do not know if that is good subforum, but I am looking for your recommendations.

I want to put my set in my 3m x 6m room, in a corner, on a desk.

I can spend $2000.

I am looking for a system that will give me decent bass and vocal, will have good separation of instruments, will be good at listening metal, alt-rock, non mainstream pop and electronic music. Example Nightwish, Led Zeppelin and Gorgio Moroder.

I would like to connect system to PC, phono and possible use Spotify/Tidal from their "connect" apps.

Previously I had B&W 606+Onkyo something-686, good sound, no bass (I have added subwoofer) and the software on onkyo is bad (the handshake sometimes do not exist). Moved it to where I watch movies.

Last edited:
...in a corner, on a desk....
This isn’t a requirement that is easily accommodated with a traditional Hifi system. Even so-called bookshelf speakers need stands (or, if absolutely necessary, very substantial bookshelves) to sound good. A desk is usually just a vibrating sound board, ruinous for music reproduction.
If by ‘phono‘ you mean you want to use a turntable too, then that can’t sit easily on the same surface as speakers.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and please take this as good advice not criticism. My best suggestion is to look at the KEF LSX, a small active speaker that can be adjusted electronically for desk placement. And stick to streaming! https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/kef-lsx

Have you any dealers nearby who can demonstrate anything to you? Obviously my suggestion above isn’t the only possibility, but as many of us are in the UK we aren’t always aware of prices and availability in dollars. Are you in the USA?

Reactions: rainsoothe

mpst

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
This isn’t a requirement that is easily accommodated with a traditional Hifi system. Even so-called bookshelf speakers need stands (or, if absolutely necessary, very substantial bookshelves) to sound good. A desk is usually just a vibrating sound board, ruinous for music reproduction.
If by ‘phono‘ you mean you want to use a turntable too, then that can’t sit easily on the same surface as speakers.
Just to clarify

1) Desk has like 25kg oak table top.
2) I can put stands. Would they have to be higher than desk?
3) Yes, definitely, turn table not on a desk, just speakers on it, and maybe an amplifier, but not mandatory.
Anyway, welcome to the forum, and please take this as good advice not criticism. My best suggestion is to look at the KEF LSX, a small active speaker that can be adjusted electronically for desk placement. And stick to streaming! https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/kef-lsx
4) For KEF LSX, for turntable, would I need a preamp?
Have you any dealers nearby who can demonstrate anything to you? Obviously my suggestion above isn’t the only possibility, but as many of us are in the UK we aren’t always aware of prices and availability in dollars. Are you in the USA?
5) Dollars? I live in Switzerland, Zurich. I think there are places in the city.

Yes, you’d need a phono preamp, or a modern turntable design that included a phono stage like, say, a Technics SL1500
There are various isolator pads you can buy for desktop speakers, but I’ve never used them and am none too familiar with the options. A quick google gives some examples, but a dealer will be able to advise.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts