First reflection points

IGR

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi everyone. I would be grateful for some advice regarding positioning for room treatment panels for my home cinema. My priority is to enhance vocal clarity for movies. It will be a ‘work in progress’ starting with two panels on the side walls and a rear wall bass absorber. Is it better to place the sidewall panels at the first reflection points of the front surrounds or the center channel. The room will be used exclusively for cinema so 2 channel music is not a consideration.
Thank you in advance

Tinman1952

Interesting point! I have two GIK panels in my lounge at the first reflection points for my stereo speakers and another four panels behind the speakers. However for home cinema use….80 per cent of the sound and all the dialogue comes from the centre channel. So if you are not worried about stereo music I would use that centre channel as my reference. The classic way (in case you didn’t know…) is to sit at your listening position and get a friend/partner to walk along the walls with a mirror until you see the reflection of the speaker. That’s the place to put your panels. 👍

IGR

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I would’ve thought the centre channel is the most relevant. But I wouldn’t think its sidewall reflection would be significant, unless the p,a cement or room construction is unusual. .
Hi nopiano. Do think that the room treatments are unnecessary or just that there are better placement options ? Thanks

Hi nopiano. Do think that the room treatments are unnecessary or just that there are better placement options ? Thanks
Treatment might be necessary, but typical home AV speakers are designed to work in average rooms. Obviously if you’re in a cellar or greenhouse it might be different. But good placement is where to begin.

It might help to list your kit and maybe upload a picture of your room, as otherwise we are a bit in the dark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts