First proper seperates advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am a well seasoned home cinema fanatic. However, I can't get away from the fact my music is lacking via 5.1.

So I have been looking at what would be best for my first proper seperates unit. I have seen the following deals in my local Richersounds and was hoping someone could give me sum plus or negatives on the following systems.

Marantz PM6003 Amp, Marantz CD6003 CD Player, Wharfedale 10.1 Speakers. £599

Arcam Solo Mini, Wharfedale 10.1 Speakers £749.

Alternately are there any systems I could spec up that would give me the best for my money?

My musical taste includes; Bonobo, Fink, Cinematic Orchestra, Alecia Keys, Beyonce. So basically everything from Jazz, Pop, Singer songwriter, dance, R&B, Instrumental hip hop.

Cheers ;)

A

Anonymous

nad c326bee , marantz cd6003 , monitor audio br5s ..around £830..

A

Anonymous

actually , that marantz amp , cd player and the wharfedales seems great value to me at £599..

you could also consider a pair of dali suite 2.8 floorstanders , £400 at sevenoaks i think , a few forumites that bought them are very happy with them , they were £1000 speakers when first released ...

A

Anonymous

Try the Marantz pair with some Dali Lektor 2's. I listen to similar music as you and i had the Marantz (PM6002), Dali combo for over a year and i loved it. Although i would listen to as much stuff as in in the price bracket you had in mind, and see what grabs your ear.

A

Anonymous

Let's try that again, it timed out and I lost my last post :(

Anyway, I am looking for the best stereo image and positioning for the money. I like tight bass and good vocals. I am not into the french style speakers with harsh top ends.

I have been spoilt with auditioning Audionote set-up which is beautiful, the transparency when matched with the Cairn Mistrale is exactly the sound I loved.

But back to my budget, I will def audition the Dali and Monitor Audio speakers, by the looks of it the CD Player is a great choice.

Question on DAC's, I am going to run my Mac Book Pro via a DAC but is it worth buying a multi input and bypassing the DAC in the Marantz? I would love a Chord Gem but its only USB and Bluetooth. :(

Cheer :)

A

Anonymous

Depends on which DAC you are going to get. I'm sure a DAC such as the Beresford or the DAC magic will sound better than the Marantz CDP's DAC.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input! I was in richer sounds for 2 hours today demoing speakers with the Marantz CD6003 and PM6003.

I tried the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 which sounded quite good at first, very clear vocals, good bass and ok highs. Transparency wasn't so hot but as a starter for 10, excuse the pun, I liked what I heard.

I then tried the Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1, at first it was the bass that hit me, a lot more of it on offer. Once it warmed up I had the biggest smile on my face. It was a revelation compared to the Wharfedale's.

On to the Dali Lektor 2, it had a very nice tone and as the Aviano was miles ahead the Wharfedale. However, I went for the Mordaunt-Short as to me the sound was fantastic. Bare in mind I have been spoilt with Audionote and Cairn electronics and I was astonished the clarity, stereo separation and you could hear so much more. For example I listen to Alicia Keys - Doesn't Mean Anything, you could hear the subtle reverb which was inaudible on the other speakers. The change in dynamics on The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build a house was tight and organic. I felt like I did when I heard them live in the Royal Albert Hall.

So after 2 hours and lots of music I decided to buy. Yes I don't hang about when I want something but I am very happy with my purchase.

Marantz CD6003, Marantz PM6003, Mordaunt-Short Aviano 1, SoundStyle Z1, TTAP Classik TV Stand (£19!!!), 2x2m QED Silver Anniversary XT with QED Airloc Speaker Termination. I also will be using Chord Company Cobra Plus as the audio cable.

I think for my first HiFi it's not a bad system.

Tracks used to demo: Fink - Sort of Revolution, The Cinematic Orchestra - To Build a House, Alicia Keys - Doesn't Mean Anything, Beyonce - Halo, Bonobo - We Could Forever and Nightlite, Live Lounge 4 - (Poker Face - Lady Gaga, Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas, Beggin' - The Saturdays), Michael Jackson - Billie Jean and Man in the Mirror.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info, I will let you know who things go once it's all set up and in place.

Cheers :D

T

the record spot

The Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh has a Primare CD-10 on sale, ex-dem, for £659 (on Ebay). Excellent reviews, cost a damn sight more on release, nice condition (saw it on saturday) and here's a photo from off the web, not the model in the shop:-

stand_primare_CDI10_310506.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I know it's not separates, but I suspect the performance could be some way above what you'll get for £599 otherwise. Quality kit, build is fantastic too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts