First post :) - My planned home cinema

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

I am new on this forum - and pretty much in the world of home cinemas and hifi too I guess.
I have finally decided to get a decent home cinema. So after some weeks of checking websites, forums and dealers (at times comletely lost in technical translation), here's my plan. Would be happy if you could confirm if I am on the right track... :)

First, my room is 24 sqm. It is a loft with many angles and limited space behind the sofa. I will listen 70/30 to music/movies but I really want to have a great experience when watching movies so i'll go full HD, perhaps with a projector. But I also want some really good speakers for the music. I listen to mostly everything but focus on rock, pop, soundtracks and classical. No Metal, hip hop or country music. So I am looking for the best of two worlds:

Receiver: Marantz SR6003
Fronts: B&W DMDMr 683
Center: HTM62
Back: B&W M1 (due to limited space)
Subwoofer: ASW 608 (or ASW10 or even PV-1)

I kind of like the (what I think) warm sound of the BW speakers. But also liked the clarity of the KEF iQ90.
I have not been able to listen to any of the subwoofers yet...

My first question to you experts is if the Marantz is a good pick. I want a musical receiver with at least 3 HDMI and Marantz seem to be one of the best ones for that. But are the speakers and receiver evenly matched? Or is the receiver too strong or weak?? Perhaps is the Marantz 5003 enough?

My second question is which subwoofer to pick.It feels a little "cheap" to go for the ASW608. I want to feel the explosions when I watch Saving Private Ryan. :) But is the PV-1 an overkill?

I hope anyone out there can help me!

Thanks!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
IMHO, forget the B&W subs (esp. the ASW608 - 8" not worth bothering with IMO or PV1 - design over substance), you'll get far more bang for your buck from the likes of BDK (Monolith) or SVS. A friend of mine has the ASW610 which he's happy with but I've yet to hear it in anger. I've heard lots of good things about the Marantz SR6003 but no review on here, same goes for the subs but if you google, you'll find plenty of satisfied owners (inc. me. I have an SVS).

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
agree on the sub - that's quite a big room, and if it's a bit lofty, you'll need a the 610 to try and fill it. PV1 looks fab and by all accounts sounds fab, but it's a bit spenny... maybe look at some of the Velodyne range? If you are buying that much kit from one retailer, he should allow you a home test of a demo sub, to see what suits you.

Also, with the 683s, perhaps the HTM61 would be a better match?

A

Anonymous

Hi!

Thanks a lot!! I will buy the things step by step and I think the sub will come at the end. It seems like the marantz6003 is a good match to the speakers so that will give me a solid base to start with. I feel more secure now in my choices.
I agree the PV-1 is costly but it would be a good convesation piece... :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts