First music you actually paid for…….

Tinman1952

From Gray:
“Bought my first vinyl 50 years ago this year week: (Slade / Coz I Luv You 7").
Back then vinyl had no real competition.”

This got me thinking… what was the first music you actually bought and which format?

Mine was the 7 inch vinyl record of ‘Day Tripper’ by the Beatles. From memory it cost 7s 6d (37.5 p for new members…!)
I had saved up my pocket money for 3 weeks and played it on an old Dansette record player (mono).
How things have progressed! 👍

D

Deleted member 196306

I can’t remember! I do remember getting a Cliff Richard Vinyl Savours Day though as a present at about the age of 10! :)

Reactions: Tinman1952

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
i remenber that i was listening to abbey road from the beatles and choose to buy as my first record the let it be LP and the the book from the movie magical mistery tour that had 2 singles with some original songs from the movie (if memory doesn´t fail me), i have to add that it were censored records in Portugal. The early beatles records were good but when they stop shaving and let the hair grow they become comunists

Last edited:

Gray

....trying not to think about how much I've spent since the first :(
Pretty sure my Slade single cost 50p in a Co-op department store.
Must have been a novelty spending the new decimal money, which I think started in Feb of that (1971) year.
Played on a 'modern-looking' radiogram - its grille was wide enough to be stereo, but it was probably only mono.
But did we care? We didn't know any different.

I mainly bought 12” singles in the early 80s, and the first was David Bowie’s Cat People. I think my first album was Lover Over Gold by Dire Straits. I didn’t buy many 7” singles, although I had had a number of them gifted to me, but I think the first I bought was Night Train by Visage.

Roger_A

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Please Please Me by you know who. My brother and I pooled pocket money to buy it after we'd already had With the Beatles and Freddy and the Dreamers single 'You were made for me' with the Dansette style record player we'd had as a Christmas present.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

I think mine was a 7” single “You were made for me” by Freddy and the Dreamers (1963) and from what I remember cost about 2/6d, (A fortune with pocket money those days) and yes we had the old Dansette.

My parents had plenty of 78s as well.

Bill
Blimey that brought back memories! Good old Freddy….always reminded me of Buddy Holly….on speed! 😂

D

Deleted member 108165

My brothers and sisters bought LPs and singles, I just listened to what they bought, or the radio. Never got involved in purchasing music until I was well into my teens and with a driving licence. First purchase was either an 8 track or a cassette, possibly Jean-Michel Jarre Oxygene. I was more into cars and crumpet than music :)

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts