First foray into music streaming

Hayzer

BANNED
Jan 26, 2021
Visit site
After years of my hifi languishing in the corner, relegated there because of a home cinema system its now been restored to pride of place. The surround system has been replaced by a soundbar. I now find myself listening to more music and for multi room use I intend to sign up to a streaming service. I am considering a high resolution service and buying a streamer to plug into my hifi.
A couple of questions.
How does hi res streaming via a mid price streamer compare to CD quality ?

How much better are hi res filel from say tidal compared to other hi res files.

Thanks in anticipation

H

Gray

After years of my hifi languishing in the corner, relegated there because of a home cinema system its now been restored to pride of place. The surround system has been replaced by a soundbar. I now find myself listening to more music and for multi room use I intend to sign up to a streaming service. I am considering a high resolution service and buying a streamer to plug into my hifi.
A couple of questions.
How does hi res streaming via a mid price streamer compare to CD quality ?

How much better are hi res filel from say tidal compared to other hi res files.

Thanks in anticipation

H
Easy answer to question 1.
Potentially identical (subject to all else being equal, including the DAC).

Question 2 will ideally be answered by a subscriber.
(I never have, never will, use a paid-for streaming service).

Satnav

Jan 29, 2021
Visit site
I have just started streaming through a new Audiolab PLAY. My other system which I have had for about 25 years is a Naim one.
I have the free trial on Tidal HiFi and so listening to FLAC files which I understand are around 30-50mb. The sound seems very similar to CD and much better than Spotify which only uses files around 3.5mb and, to my ears, seem dull in comparison. I like the convenience of just switching from one track to another on my phone and as it sounds similar I will keep using it. Whether other high res service providers are any better I doubt it and may subscription rates might be a consideration. Certainly £19.99 is not cheap, but I have 700 CD's and most I purchased because I liked one song.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts