First car

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
One of my favourite cars was a white 1979 Lancia Beta HPE 2000. I loved that car. It handled great. I used to race a guy with the Coupe version from Dunmow to Thaxted in Essex, but the longer wheelbase of the HPE seemed to give me the edge. Or I was crazier than him.
Someone pulled out of a cross roads on my way to work in South Woodham Ferrer's and wrote it off. Then the bloke punched me in the face as I was swearing at him.
Ooh agh. Them were the days🤣🤣🤣
I'm a huge Lancia fan. Never owned but have driven a couple. The Beta Coupe and Fulvia Sport are my two favs. Sadly let down by rubbish Russian steel, same with most Italian cars of that era.

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
9 year old BMW 315 (E21), 4 speed gearbox in red.
Gave me problems, wasn´t a happy chap owning it.
Kept it for 3 years, trade it in for a Fiat Uno 75 that run on GPL, run fantastically and was fast (top speed was around 185 km/h!). Except for the fit and finish, liked the Fiat much better than the BMW, never owned a BMW ever again.

Reactions: WayneKerr

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Me too, let someone else cover most of the depreciation.
Quite true and a sensible statagy. Even if I could afford a new car, I would find a low mileage current car. We all know that just driving a brand new car out of the dealer's place and ten miles has knocked several hundred quid off its value.
You'd have to hope though that the first owner hadn't got rid of it because it's "Friday" car.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Some nice cars mentioned but I'm not one of them who had that experience in a first car.
I'm almost ashamed to mention it but as you dont know me by sight thus can't laugh and point at me in public.......
My first car was a 85' nissan sunny 1.6auto in beige more like the colour of runny sh?t.
It had all the toys of that yr like electric rear windows etc but "oh my" if you hit a bump with vigour a piece of one arch or even all would be left behind.
Once up to the higher end of the dial if left it would boil it's own coolant that said none of that was the problem it was its lack of anything entertaining about any of it.
Hands down the most boring car I've ever driven.
Jeremy Clarkson etc voted it as such yrs after I'd got rid and I remember nodding my head in agreement.
Every car usually has a few things that are a plus but not with this thing, put it this way I preferred the Austin maestro afterwards to it.
I do not drive now but had many scrappers even a Talbot samba with rear swimming pool before getting my favourite waft along Volvo t5 before health ment getting rid to my father.
I'm only 40 but first car ownership has gone from DIY repairs in the snow whilst belting ones knuckles with a hammer etc to lazy kids without even the rudemantery knowledge of how to fit a spare wheel just getting whatever their friends have on finance.
The mere thought of going to a scrap yard in the rain for spares to them would probably invoke a childlike tantrum

WayneKerr

Not sure if this has been posted before but here goes :)

I'll kick-off with mine: 1966 Hillman Super Minx bought for £60 in 1975, (I think that equated to about 6 weeks wages for me in '75).
That Hillman had a couple of quirks to it - handbrake was on the RHS of the drivers seat and a foot-operated headlight main/dipped beam switch. Also owned a Mini where the the engine starter button was on the floor :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts