FIRST AV SYSTEM

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks Im thinking of setting up my first av system using B&W 683 SPEAKERS + surrounds but totally unsure what receiver or player to go for . As the market is changing so fast just now is it worth while picking up a discounted dvd player eg ARCAM 137 or better + a good DENON receiver and waiting for BLU RAY to come up a really with a good player for CD as music is really important Neil

A

Anonymous

If you tell us what your budget is, I am sure someone will come up with the best option for your money. Don't forget a budget for cables!!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi Neil

Truth is any DVD player and multichannel amp will be a compromise as far as CD replay is concerned, although Arcams tend to be better than most for musicality. If you want a musical AV set-up then Arcam DVD players and multichannel amps make a better choice than many.

As for Blu-ray, it's a bit early to tell if there'll be a player that's good for music. There's still a relatively limited choice of models, although we're bound to see lots more coming out in the next few months.

So if you can get a good Arcam DVD player secondhand, I'd be tempted to go for it. I still run an 'old' Arcam DV79 and it's a terrific DVD player, as well as a reasonable CD player. However, if you're planning to upgrade to Blu-ray in the future, you might want to consider one of the newer AV amps/receivers that can handle high-def audio formats.

A

Anonymous

Hi Neil.

Yes, I think some sort of clue as to budget would help. For example to get decent DVD spinner that is equally good at getting the most from your CD's could land you in Naim territory - and that is without any blu-ray capability. Do you already own the B&W's or are they just suggested?.

Are you also looking to include Onkyo, Sony or Yamaha along with Denon?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for getting in touch guys
budget around the £4000 maybe a little more , would be up for buying a good second hand cd player and passable blu rae player , but new av unit along with the speakers . Room is 4m by 6m . Starting the system from scratch , old gear had its day
NEIL

TRENDING THREADS