Finish of Cyrus casework

robreid

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I've just bought a new Cyrus CD6se 2 on offer from Sevenoaks, it sounds great but I've noticed the finish of the die cast case at the top right is slightly uneven where it aligns to the panel with the cd opening and display. It's not much maybe a couple of mm but it's a little irritating, I just wondered if anyone else has noticed some unevenness in the finish of the newer cases, it's similar to the re-processed psx-r I bought 6 months ago (I put that down to being reprocessed) the finish on my older Cyrus 8 and Cyrus 8xpd amplifiers are much better.

I don't want to swap it as its a lot of hassle and sevenoaks will probably just think I am being fussy just wondered if this is something anyone else has noticed?

Cheers, rob

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The magnesium-alloy casework is initially moulded (all from the same mould), but there are rough edges to this initial mould. All casework is then finished and polished by hand. So technically, you could say they're all unique.

But, that shouldn't have a bearing on the buttons, display etc (unless there was a rough bit that's not allowing the display to be lined up correctly. I would take it back and get it exchanged as I've never seen this before, and we have nigh on twenty boxes on display that are refreshed every twelve months, as well as repro stock coming and going.

matthewpiano

I've always felt Cyrus kit looks and feels slightly cheaper than I'd like, but they make some fantastic sounding kit and that is what counts.

If you think your player is particularly poorly finished you should take it back and get a replacement.

A

Anonymous

I've got 4 Cyrus boxes, all Quartz Silver. None of them suffer from this problem, but all 4 (bought at different times) are slightly different shades.

None are cheap so I do not see why Cyrus cannot ensure that they keep the colour the same...

Slightly off topic, but I have noticed that the new Cyrus amps released last week have a "Cyrus monolithic aluminium die-cast chassis"

I've not seen one - but will these look any different?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rob100 said:
I have noticed that the new Cyrus amps released last week have a "Cyrus monolithic aluminium die-cast chassis"

I've not seen one - but will these look any different?

Surely they've all had that for many years? It's the upside-down casework from which all the circuitry is suspended, with the 'lid' on the bottom.

A

Anonymous

Old version was magnesium alloy with what I don't know ?

New version is aluminum.

Very similar in most respects.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Evan said:
Old version was magnesium alloy with what I don't know ?

New version is aluminum.

Very similar in most respects.

Indeed, and although I haven't got one of the boxes to hand, there is blurb inside about how the die-cast magnesium case acts as heat sink and vibration damper (as I said, I'm paraphrasing). Assuming the aluminium does a similar job (for less cost...).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts