Film/TV material still not available on disc?

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Hmm. With the recent announcement of *hopefully* unbowdlerised Tom & Jerry on BluRay in the States, my 'want list' of legacy cinema material unavailable on DVD/BD is now down to just the Studio Cut of "Touch of Evil": the last full length movie (Christine Edzard's "Little Dorrit/Nobody's Fault") came out on DVD a few years back, the 30th Anniversary package of CE3K included the Special Edition missing since VHS/LD, and with Blade Runner TFC, Rick Deckard is at last the replicant he should have been all along (disagreements>/dev/null).

TV is no better; "The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe" and "The Singing Ringing Tree" have pretty much finished off that list, I even got "Sous La Signe de l'Epée" (see avatar) from amazon.fr earlier this year.

This doesn't mean there's nothing left to be released (although that complete boxset of "On The Buses" I saw advertised recently suggests that the bottom of the barrel is visible in places, if not actually being scraped), or nothing left I'd pay money for if I spotted it on a shelf, or no DVDs I'd replace with the BluRay, just that there's nothing left in my mental history of film/TV I want enough to actually go out and search for.

Ignoring any blockbusters of the last twenty years that haven't made it out yet (because we can assume they will), has anyone else reached this point, and if so, what are your outstanding items, if any? I could do with some ideas ;)

FoxJA

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I'm still waiting on two DVD/Blu Ray releases of films I had on VHS, The Power of One and The Ghost and the Darkness. 2 great films but I've only seen them on Region 1.

A

Anonymous

Bit of a weird one but Kissyfur kids cartoon has never made it to DVD yet and I'd like to see Thundercats on bluray one day

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
@FoxJA: both "The Power of One" and "Ghost and the Darkness" have been released on R2 DVD, although they may not be current:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-One-DVD-Stephen-Dorff/dp/B003DAAZRM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1309683412&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Darkness-DVD-Michael-Douglas/dp/B0000579BX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309683511&sr=1-1

The second volume of William Goldman's autobiography, "Which Lie Did I Tell?", is really good on the making of the latter film.

@Chebby: AVPP is a possible (when the price at least halves), thanks.

BTW, one I'm never expecting to see: a fully restored version of Richard Williams' "The Thief and the Cobbler", which AFAIK never had a cinema release in the first place; the NTSC VHS released in the US by the completion bond company was a travesty.

chrisup

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Edge Of Darkness tv series with Joe Don Baker and Bob Peck and The Gods Must Be Crazy my daughter's favourite film she wore out the tape (she's 24 now) also agree about Adventures of Robinson Crusoe.

TALON1973

May 26, 2008
Visit site
chrisup said:
Edge Of Darkness tv series with Joe Don Baker and Bob Peck and The Gods Must Be Crazy my daughter's favourite film she wore out the tape (she's 24 now) also agree about Adventures of Robinson Crusoe.

erm .... mate thast been on dvd for ages :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edge-Darkness-Complete-Bob-Peck/dp/B00004CYR0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309802470&sr=8-1

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
A

Anonymous

FIrst post here guys so be good to me
smiley-wink.gif
Although i have them all on DVD i would love to see and would buy again the entire collection of Frasier if it were to get a HD remaster and then release on bluray.

Im sure i cant be the only one......

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome l34052.

I'd say Frasier is a shoe-in for BluRay (there's already a signup page on amazon.com) and as it was shot on 35mm film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106004/technical, it should remaster in 1080p no problem. Just a matter of time.

Sitcom would have been very different if Lisa Kudrow had played Roz as originally intended, not least because she wouldn't have even tried for Phoebe...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
daveloc said:
I'd say Frasier is a shoe-in for BluRay (there's already a signup page on amazon.com) and as it was shot on 35mm film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106004/technical, it should remaster in 1080p no problem. Just a matter of time.

When we got our first 32" LCD and upscaling DVD recorder connected with HDMI (after a 22" Panasonic CRT and VCR/DVD/Freeview recorder connected with SCART), it became apparent just how badly finished Frasier Crane's apartment set was. (There is even trim on kitchen cabinets falling off in places and visible dirt/stains in wall-unit cubby holes.)

I don't think i'll be replacing our Frasier DVD sets with a Blu-ray box for fear that it'll look even worse! (I guess it was designed to be shown on fairly low resolution NTSC CRTs and VCRs and they thought the set quality was never going to be an issue.)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts