Few questions about upgrade (DAC & Studio Monitors)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm currently using the line out from my motherboards soundcard connected to the analog in on my old sony hifi (using a 3.5mm jack to RCA cable) but after re-ripping all my music to FLAC I'm looking to improve the quality. I've been reading up about speakers/monitors soundcards/DAC's/Amp's for the past few days but still unsure on a few things.

I have decided that I'll get a pair of studio monitors rather than hifi speakers as they will be on my desk and the only time I will be using them is when sat at the computer. Am I correct in thinking that as studio monitors are active I don't need an amp for them?

After much reading it looks like soundcards/DAC's overlap in functionality, all I plan to do is use this for listening to music (don't game on this computer and don't need 100's of inputs as I won't be recording) so could I just connect an external DAC to the computer (either using USB or SPDIF from the motherboard) and then plug the speakers into that or will I get better quality again going from a soundcard to the DAC to the speakers?

After much reading I'm currently considering the Cambridge Audio DacMagic and the KRK Rokit 5's (possibly 6's if the budget will stretch slightly further)

Is this all I need or would I require more to connect these together (obviously leads but I meant soundcard, amp etc)

Also any comments about my planned setup or suggestions as to better alternatives.

Thanks

idc

Hi descendent87

Yes, you are looking for active speakers where the amplification is in, or attached to the back of the speaker. A search under the reviews part of the site finds this; http://whathifi.com/Search/active+speakers/

As for a DAC, you are right that they overlap soundcards and you will be able to connect PC to DAC to active speaker. Soundcard to DAC does not work in as much as DACs will bypass the computers soundcard.

I have not heard of the Rokit, but having seen the specification your suggestion should work with PC- optical,digital or USB cable (depending on the PC and DAC) to DAC and then phono cables to the speaker.

A

Anonymous

Also consider the MF V-DAC, saves you some money & space on your desk, and does the same job. Actually, the speakers are probably the weaker link, so it may also allow you to buy the 6's if that is an improvement. Or if you really want to get serious, save the money for the DAC, speaker cables and upcoming presents for the GF and go for the AVI ADM9.1's with USB in - pricier of course, but in a different league in SQ I would expect (and you did ask for better alternatives..).

A

Anonymous

Thanks, completely forgot I'd posted here!

Was looking at the V-DAC but have heard a lot of people saying the DACMagic is really worth the extra money so will have to do a bit more reading or try and find somewhere that stocks both.

Also as for the studio monitors I'm not 100% sure yet as I'm now looking into a seperate amp and passive bookshelf speakers.

The more I read the more confused I get (and the more i want haha)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts