Feedback for my project

Elliot27

Apr 21, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I have attached a project I have made as a hifi furniture for records/turntable/amplifier and other equipment.

Could you please give me some feedback, it is for my design technology A-level project. Thanks you!IMG_2056.jpg

The appearance is great - unusual, striking, and interesting use of curves. You’ll have noticed that Hifi storage and curves don’t often meet! Lively use of colour too.

As to function, it’s perhaps less successful I think. Records need to be stored vertically and ideally under slight pressure, so a big bookend is a minimum to stop them flopping over. As already mentioned, speakers need to be at ear height, so those little ProAcs aiming straight towards the floor - not ideal. Not sure what the red and white platforms are made of, but they need to be inert - not wood or metal that makes a noise if you tap them.

Definitely eye-catching. Well done, and welcome to the forum!

Gray

Yes, well done, you've certainly got a flair for design Elliot 👍

The success of the product would depend on the intended market.
'Audiophiles' have very strict rules on the positioning and storage of their stuff.

It's a fact that, as it stands, your product would be more appealing to females.
But that may be no bad thing - as they make a lot of the buying decisions - and (too) many males are henpecked enough to let them get away with doing so 😉.

Reactions: WayneKerr and Noddy
Yes, well done, you've certainly got a flair for design Elliot 👍

The success of the product would depend on the intended market.
'Audiophiles' have very strict rules on the positioning and storage of their stuff.

It's a fact that, as it stands, your product would be more appealing to females.
But that may be no bad thing - as they make a lot of the buying decisions - and (too) many males are henpecked enough to let them get away with doing so 😉.
unfortunately my female would tend to disagree as she notices things like practically, and this isn't that.
Fine for an A level project no doubt but not so in the hifi equipment market.

Reactions: Gray

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Hello, I have attached a project I have made as a hifi furniture for records/turntable/amplifier and other equipment.

Could you please give me some feedback, it is for my design technology A-level project. Thanks you!View attachment 4648
Speakers should never be on the floor far too low . A divider for the records would be nice. i would put the speakers where the records are and the records lower down . is that Amp real?😀

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
It’s pretty good as an item of furniture, but if you look at audio cabinets, they are often rather unstylish, to the point of being very ugly. Most here will, incidentally, most likely disagree with me. Perhaps they are industrial chic.

Audiophiles tend to be a bit obsessive, and they hate vibrations. So every component must be housed on a shelf with vibration isolating elements. Bookshelf speakers are placed on stands, which are filled with sand, or a heavy filler. And most speakers need to be away from the walls.

In short, you need to understand your market. Of course this might sell well to people who just want a nice stand for their hifi.

That said, the assessors will most likely give you good marks. :)

WayneKerr

Audiophiles tend to be a bit obsessive, and they hate vibrations. So every component must be housed on a shelf with vibration isolating elements. Bookshelf speakers are placed on stands, which are filled with sand, or a heavy filler. And most speakers need to be away from the walls.
Hoorah! I'm not an audiophile then :) My speakers are on wall brackets and the rear of the speaker is only 4" from the wall... I always suspected I was different to you lot on here :)

It’s pretty good as an item of furniture, but if you look at audio cabinets, they are often rather unstylish, to the point of being very ugly. Most here will, incidentally, most likely disagree with me. Perhaps they are industrial chic.

In short, you need to understand your market. Of course this might sell well to people who just want a nice stand for their hifi.

That said, the assessors will most likely give you good marks. :)
not if the assessors are hifi fanatics.... :cool:

Reactions: Noddy and WayneKerr
How much weight do you think those shelves will support? Quite a lot of hifi gear is pretty hefty

Ditto the arms for vinyl - a stack of LPs will add up to a few kilos. If not rigid enough, bits might bend - which would look rubbish and might mean it wears/breaks sooner than would otherwise be the case.

If you put a false back (i.e. set a couple of inches from the rear) inside the two opens sections it would beef up structural rigidity and allow the cabling to be hidden.

Do you have to submit anything written with it? If so, addressing the sort of concerns raised here would make sense.

Reactions: Noddy

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The biggest problem I can see is where the rocords are placed, If you were to fill the entire shelve on one side it will likely tip up. Vinyl will get weighty rather quickly.

You could solve this by placing extra supports at the edges or moving out your speaker shelves far wider. Other than that it’s a lovely project for your A levels and you have thought well outside the box.

Reactions: Noddy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts