Favourite albums of the last 4 decades

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matthewpiano

Macspur said:
Yep, incurible!

70's Harry Chapin Varities and balderdash. Stephen Bishop, Careless. Art Garfunkel, Watermark.

80's Anita Baker, Rapture. Suzanne Vega, Solitude Standing. Phil Collins, Face Value.

90's Mary Black, Babes in the wood. Genesis, We can't dance.Judie Tzuke, Under the angels.

00's Angus&Julia Stone, A book like this. Melody Gardot, Worrisome Heart. Vienna Teng, Warm Strangers.

10's Barnaby Bright, The Longest day. Paper Aeroplanes, We are ghosts. Civil Wars, Barton Hollow.

Watermark and Babes in the Wood are both gorgeous albums. On the former, 'All I know' is one of the most beautiful songs ever written IMO, and Art Garfunkel's vocal is divine. On Babes in the Wood I love Mary Black's cover of Richard Thompson's 'Dimming of the Day'.

T

the record spot

1970s Genesis - A Trick of the Tail

1980s Motorhead - Ace of Spades

1990s Aimee Mann - Whatever

2000s Madness - The Liberty of Norton Folgate

2010s Julie Feeney - Pages

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I was surprised by just how difficult this list was to compile, and I'm sure no one's going to agree with it (not that it matters)

1970s: ELO - A New World Record

1980s: U2 - The unforgetable Fire

1990s: Marillion - Brave (That was the easiest choice)

2000s: Marillion - Marbles

There have been some fantastic choices on this thread, I'm definitely going to dig out a lot of them. Good stuff, keep 'em coming. :clap:

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Can't really say but in the top five:

70s - I want to see the bright lights tonight, Richard and Linda Thompson

80s - Graceland, Paul Simon (easy choice as I listen to so little from the 80s)

90s - The Bends, Radiohead

00s - Raising Sand, Plant and Krauss

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Macspur said:
Yep, incurible!

70's Harry Chapin Varities and balderdash. Stephen Bishop, Careless. Art Garfunkel, Watermark.

80's Anita Baker, Rapture. Suzanne Vega, Solitude Standing. Phil Collins, Face Value.

90's Mary Black, Babes in the wood. Genesis, We can't dance.Judie Tzuke, Under the angels.

00's Angus&Julia Stone, A book like this. Melody Gardot, Worrisome Heart. Vienna Teng, Warm Strangers.

10's Barnaby Bright, The Longest day. Paper Aeroplanes, We are ghosts. Civil Wars, Barton Hollow.

Watermark and Babes in the Wood are both gorgeous albums. On the former, 'All I know' is one of the most beautiful songs ever written IMO, and Art Garfunkel's vocal is divine. On Babes in the Wood I love Mary Black's cover of Richard Thompson's 'Dimming of the Day'.

I'm ashamed to sayMatthew, I've only got a copy of Watermark, must buy a proper copy.

Dimming of the day is lovely, but my favourite is her cover of Joni Mitchell's urge for going and I love The thorn upon the rose. Another beauty is poisen words from The holy ground.

Mac

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
:rockout: Argus Wishbone Ash

Little creatures Talking heads :rockout:

:rockout: Talk Yes

Them Crooked Vultures :rockout: not to sure of dates but close :grin:

matthewpiano

Jame5 said:
Can't really say but in the top five:

70s - I want to see the bright lights tonight, Richard and Linda Thompson

80s - Graceland, Paul Simon (easy choice as I listen to so little from the 80s)

90s - The Bends, Radiohead

00s - Raising Sand, Plant and Krauss

That's a hot list. Your 70s, 80s, and 90s choices could easily have ended up in my list on a different day.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Sorry can I have another go

Modern music Be Bop Deluxe

Broadsword and the beast Jethro Tull

Beatiful freak The Eels

Rubber Factory

In fact I could do this all night there have been many albums whichI have loved and still do good thread as I have been looking up sleeve notes to see when they came out my memory never has been that good :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout: :rockout:

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
There are just too many great albums from each decade to choose just one....started listening to music from the 80`s

Bob Marley - Exodus

Elvis Costello - King of America

Van Morrison - Moondance

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen

Fun Boy Three - Waiting

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room

....many more

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:
the record spot said:

Funnily enough this popped up on shuffle today and I wondered whether it might have been a better choice.

It's a fine album JD, and maybe her best. Never really tire of it. Only saw her live once, in Nottingham after it came out but was a fine gig from memory.

Paul.

70s... struggling from that decade, very little 5 stars in my library

80s... Kate Bush, Never for ever

90s... The Prodigy - The Prodigy Experience (early 90s) or Hybrid - Wide angle (late 90s)

2000.. BT - Movement in Still life or This Binary Universe, DJ Format - Music for the mature B Boy, 65DaysOfStatic - One time for all time

10s... The Jezebels - Prisoner

John Duncan

the record spot said:
John Duncan said:
the record spot said:

Funnily enough this popped up on shuffle today and I wondered whether it might have been a better choice.

It's a fine album JD, and maybe her best. Never really tire of it. Only saw her live once, in Nottingham after it came out but was a fine gig from memory.

When I worked at BMG we got a few perks such as getting on the guest list for gigs, and hers was one, so I bought Mrs JD a ticket and we went to the Shepherds Bush Empire. I strode up to the box office to declare loudly that I was on the guest list, to which the response came "er, no you're not..."

I had to buy a ticket from a tout outside...

T

the record spot

Yes, but it's how you handle the rebuff that shows true class JD. :)

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Great thread and a tough one too...I cant pick just one

pre 70s - Thelonious Monk - Straight, no chaser | The Doors - The soft parade

70s - Donny Hathaway - Live | The Wailers - Soul revolution | Michael Jackson - Off the wall

80s - Rush - Moving pictures & Grace under pressure | Lisa Stansfield - Affection | N.W.A - Straight outta compton

90s - Of Mexican Descent - Exitos Y Mas Exitos | Erykah Badu - Baduizm | The Prodigy - Experience

2000s - Sparklehorse - It's a wonderful life | Quasimoto - The unseen | D-Styles - Phantazmagorea

EDITED ...after some more thought.

ebentjerodt

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
50 Miles Davis/ Kind of Blue

60 John Coltrane/ Love Supreme - The Beatles / SPLHCB, Frank Zappa / Freak out, King Crimson ITCOTCK, Soft Machine vol I& II

70 Pink Floyd / DSOTM, Robert Wyatt / Rock Bottom, VDGG / H to He Who Am the Only one, Genesis / Selling England by The pound, Jimi Hendrix / band of Gypsys

80 Fred Frith / Gravity, Dire Straits / Brothers in arms, Peter Gabriel / SO, Naked City

90 Frank Zappa / Yelow Shark, Mazada / Live

00 David Sylvian (Nine Horses) / Snow Borne Sorrow Brian Eno / Another day on Earth

10 Cosa Brava / Ragged Atlas

soryy, could nt chose one!!!

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
kev g said:
There are just too many great albums from each decade to choose just one....started listening to music from the 80`s

Bob Marley - Exodus

Elvis Costello - King of America

Van Morrison - Moondance

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen

Fun Boy Three - Waiting

Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room

....many more

Exodus is 70s and so is Moondance.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
the record spot said:
Yes, but it's how you handle the rebuff that shows true class JD. :)

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!?!?"

BourneIdentity_468x329.jpg

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
Yes, you are right BigH,

I just looked through my cd rack & picked out some of my favourites without looking at the dates.

Moondance, Exodus 70"s ! - how time flies.

I should of said "started buying music in the 80"s" when I started earning.

Al Green - Get`s Next To You 1973

Tom Waits - Closing Time 1973

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Juju 1981

So many missed over the years I`m sure ...... :rockout:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
kev g said:
Yes, you are right BigH,

I just looked through my cd rack & picked out some of my favourites without looking at the dates.

Moondance, Exodus 70"s ! - how time flies.

I should of said "started buying music in the 80"s" when I started earning.

Al Green - Get`s Next To You 1973

Tom Waits - Closing Time 1973

Siouxsie & The Banshees - Juju 1981

So many missed over the years I`m sure ...... :rockout:

I had to check some of my dates to. Nearly all mine are 70s. Does everyone else find that the their teenage years produced their favourite music?

By the way Exodus and Moondance would be up there to for me. Just been playing Exodus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts