Fascinated by Dirac Live

insider9

I'm wondering about some aspects of digital room correction and changes it brings to overall sound. Hard to imagine without ever hearing before and after. I'll make it into a list as it will be easier to reference in the thread. I'm particularly interested what role does an amp play in the chain when using Dirac Live. If this has been already covered and you can remember where just please point me in the right direction. Some question are intentionally straight forward but might as well ask. I'm trying to be as ignorant as I can for the purpose of this thread, so I can learn the most :)

1) Would a bright/warm sounding system become neutral?

2) Would this in turn put less importance on preamp section (bar connectivity and volume control)? And would perhaps a good power amp suffice?

3) Could a slow sounding system become faster?

4) Are there differences in presentation? (Soundstage size, imaging, clarity, detail retrieval, etc.)

5) Can you solve most issues without having to revert to physical room treatmet?

6) Since generally attenuation is preferred would it be any different (more beneficial) to start from a system with more bass to get it to neutral? Or does it mater at all?

7) Anything else worth a mention not covered in questions above?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The pre-amplifier is still important, as it is the make or break of many good hi-fi systems. A DIRAC Live box, whichever form it takes, can't make up for the quality of your pre-amp, it can only try and counteract the room it is working in.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm wondering about some aspects of digital room correction and changes it brings to overall sound. Hard to imagine without ever hearing before and after. I'll make it into a list as it will be easier to reference in the thread. I'm particularly interested what role does an amp play in the chain when using Dirac Live. If this has been already covered and you can remember where just please point me in the right direction. Some question are intentionally straight forward but might as well ask. I'm trying to be as ignorant as I can for the purpose of this thread, so I can learn the most :)

1) Would a bright/warm sounding system become neutral?

2) Would this in turn put less importance on preamp section (bar connectivity and volume control)? And would perhaps a good power amp suffice?

3) Could a slow sounding system become faster?

4) Are there differences in presentation? (Soundstage size, imaging, clarity, detail retrieval, etc.)

5) Can you solve most issues without having to revert to physical room treatmet?

6) Since generally attenuation is preferred would it be any different (more beneficial) to start from a system with more bass to get it to neutral? Or does it mater at all?

7) Anything else worth a mention not covered in questions above?

Thanks

A Dirac box is not going to make up for a system's fundamental deficiencies, but it will allow the best of a system to shine through by removing any room frequency peaks and troughs at your listening position.

1) Yes this can make a system sound more neutral by smoothing out any frequency bumps. Or not if you would rather not. With Dirac remember that you are in control of the frequency curve for the room at your listening position.

2) The preamp is (apparently) less important these days given that most digital sources output enough to act as preamplifier themselves when properly attenuated. However my experience is that all pre's are not born equal and that there is still a synergy required between pre and power amp. If that synergy is not there then the sound can be flat and undynamic and Dirac won't sort that out.

3) Yes if frequency peaks and LF standing waves are causing the sound to bloat at your listening position then Dirac can remove these and make the bass sound more agile.

4) Yes to all. If your room has say a peak of plus 20dB at 40Hz then you are going to miss detail in the frequencies around that peak which is being drowned out. Dirac will sort that out. Dirac also measures and adjusts the dB balance at your listening position to assist in soundstage focussing. Each speaker may actually be producing different sound at different volumes post-Dirac in order to optimise what you actually hear in your listening position.

5) Most things yes, although first and second point reflections will still need physically trapping.

6) Starting with an oversupply of bass is preferable. It is much easier for Dirac to reduce this than to boost it back in. In fact boosting frequencies too much could damage/overdrive more lightweight loudspeakers.

7) You have to think of Dirac as an extremely sophisticated graphic equaliser. Although it will have a go at producing what it considers to be the perfect frequency curve for your room's response, you are in control of what it actually does. If you like the sound of a pure flat room response then it will give you that. If you don't then you can adjust it to exactly suit your sonic flavour. Beware however that if your system isn't really any good then it cannot work miracles.

insider9

Gazzip, thank you for a very comprehensive answer! That certainly makes it more interesting for me. With an option of a pc as a source sounding appealing more than ever. All I'd need is a licence and a UMIK-1 and I'm ready to go. Might have to give trial a go.

Thanks again!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The Average reviewer doesn't seem to have a full handle on what its all about.

Better doing specific reading up.

Adjusting the freq response is one thing all that does is balance the sound out. Lots of systems do that.

Its impulse response correction thats the really clever bit.
Corrects for flaws in the speakers design and the effect on the impulse response of the very early room reflections. Thats what improves imaging clarity and focus
How it does that is well beyond me.

That is why I originally suggested it to gazzip over an antimode.

Again its not a magic wand its just one of many ways to make hifi boxes sound better

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I'd say take the chance, get the UMIK, and give the trial a go... if it's not for you those mics are like gold dusk and can easily be sold on... I think it's a gamble worth taking.

TRENDING THREADS