FAO What Hi-Fi team.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Just like to point out a bit of what I see as blatant false advertising that is in the latest mag issue. I recenlty purchased the mag and was intsantly attracted to the Hi-Spek double page advert spread in the buyers guide.

After looking through their deals and seeking advice on these forums I decided which AV package to go for. As part of my package was the Denon 2310 I had to go to store to collect, fair enough Denon rule no problem.

I made the 100 mile+ journey and sorted out my purchase with a member of their staff there. As the Denon wasn't in stock I went with the sales guy to arrange delivery as soon as they receive stock. As I was completing the paperwork I mentioned to the sales guy that I had seen delivery was free (as this months mag advert clearly states see for yourself) another guy who wasn't even serving me butted in and bellowed "No only TV's. £30 delivery charge" in a very rude manner. I told him that wasn't what I had read on their ads and he then said, again with loads of attitude, "only TV's delivered free" whilst giving a dirty look. I wasn't about to get into a row in a busy shop over £30 so thought I'd leave it at that.

When I got home I thought I'd check and confirm the "free delivery" ads were as I thought and they were. I contacted the store and guess what? the guy that butted in and demanded the £30 delivery charge answered the phone and just gave loads of attitude again!
emotion-12.gif
To cut a long story short they said either come and collect it and we will refund the delivery charge (as they new that was a round trip of in excess of 200 miles for me in Staffordshire) otherwise the stand would charge.

To be honest £30 doesn't particularly bother me either way. I had just spent £1700 in 10 minutes and did not expect the poor customer service. I would have just turned a blind eye to the false advertising had it not been for that.

I have had a lot of good advice from the friendly people and staff on here and found the reviews very useful so I thought I'd just pre-warn you all what to expect here. If I were you I'd avoid this branch of HiSpek at least until the staff issues are sorted.
As nobody wore name tags I couldn't provide a name.

I know I'm ranting a bit but they wound me up! Here's what the actual ad from the November 09 issue says:

How to buy from us?

1.Call into one of our stores

2. Order by phone.....(contact details opening hours supplied)

3.Order online......(website provided)

We deliver free!

Whether you are buying an MP3 player, Home cinema or a complete LCD/Plasma package we will deliver to your doorstep absolutely free* to anywhere in the UK mainland (*except some Scottish post codes)

What Hi-Fi team what are your views on the misleading ads?
emotion-42.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Certainly against misleading ads, but we don't get to see those pages before they go in-mag, and have no way of knowing they're misleading re pricing etc until that's brought to our attention (though we do slap retailers' wrists for adding the wrong star ratings to advertised products....)

So, thanks for the feedback on your unfortunate experience.

As Andrew says, we've brought this thread to the attention of our ad team, so will see if they - or indeed the retailer - have any comment.

A

Anonymous

Andrew/Claire just like to add in no way do I imply your team hold any responsibility for what the advertised companys claims. Just thought I'd make you aware.

Thank you for the response.

A

Anonymous

Hi Daveee,

We've spoken to Hi-Spek, who are sorry if you've had any poor experience with them, but also puzzled about the details of your order.

The Denon isn't a mail-order product, so delivery should never have been an issue, plus they can't find details of your order.

Please could you email any info you have (name, address, order no etc) for our attention at the WHFSV Contact Us address and we'll pass it on to Hi-Spek, so this issue can be resolved.

If you or any other Forum members have issues with any advertisement within the magazine - or website - please continue to bring it to our attention.

A

Anonymous

WHFSV Adteam:

Hi Daveee,

We've spoken to Hi-Spek, who are sorry if you've had any poor experience with them, but also puzzled about the details of your order.

The Denon isn't a mail-order product, so delivery should never have been an issue, plus they can't find details of your order.

Please could you email any info you have (name, address, order no etc) for our attention at the WHFSV Contact Us address and we'll pass it on to Hi-Spek, so this issue can be resolved.

If you or any other Forum members have issues with any advertisement within the magazine - or website - please continue to bring it to our attention.

Thanks for yet another response.

With regard to Hi-Spek not being able to find the details to my order I have all of the neccessary paperwork from them here! My actual order that day consisted of the 3 following items: Denon 2310, Kef 3005SE Speaker package and one pair of the Kef speaker stands (HTS3001)

I have contacted their customer relations/service number and spoken to a very helpful lady who is investigating. I appreciate the kind offer of you helping but I will let this lady deal with it. If only everyone else followed your customer service...........and I only buy magazines off you!!

If they deny or dispute adding the £30 delivery charge I have the invoice here and have no problems with providing you a copy. All of this because of one guys attitude and £30 ridiculous eh?!
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

I live in St Albans where the Head Office / Superstore is but brought all my kit (listed below) elsewhere for the same reason you gave above, attitude. Why do i need that when i'm spending a chunk of cash???

A

Anonymous

piobob:

Hi Davee

Which branch did you go to?

Funnily enough it was St Albans. Not surprised to hear Jimvicks has had the same problems there. At least I know it's not just me!

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
No, it's not just you Daveee. I did have a blazing row with the manager in the middle of the shop floor in that particular store a couple of months ago: Having then waited 4 weeks for delivery of paid for product which they'd advised would take 1 week, I really let rip. To be fair, having made my point, the manager did then resolve the matter admirably within 24 hours, but (from your description) the store manager is not the rude individual to whom you refer - over the years, I've always found the employed staff there very helpful (hint).

PS: What happened to the AV50's... or are you waiting for the 3005's to be delivered before you tell the wife?!!

A

Anonymous

Daveee:piobob:

Hi Davee

Which branch did you go to?

Funnily enough it was St Albans. Not surprised to hear Jimvicks has had the same problems there. At least I know it's not just me!

I had a wonder up there (98 miles
emotion-7.gif
) last week to look around, the guy I spoke to was quite helpful, but I didn't get the impression he was an expert, more a Comet type of guy.

I then went along to TLC Broadcast, now there's a guy who couldn't do enough for me, was there for nearly 3 hrs.....amazing set-ups.

A

Anonymous

We have had a detailed response in from Hi-Spek on this matter - here you go:

"Clearly we are concerned to have received a complaint from this customer. As such we have carried out an investigation into the complaint and we submit our findings as follows;

This customer came to our store on Sunday 20th September 2009, having looked at our advertisement in What Hifi and made the decision to travel (from the West Midlands) to take advantage of our offer for three reasons:

1. The customer was making a saving of over £570 on the normal price of the Award winning Denon AV Receiver and Award winning Kef Speakers

2. We appear to be the only company able to; offer these products at such a low price; and in addition offer a 12 month Buy Now Pay Later scheme which is also interest free (as long as the customer settles by

the end of the 12 month period); and who are open on Sundays.

3. Denon and Kef products of this quality are not available on a mail order or on-line transaction due to the terms within which the manufacturers operate with their retailers.

Having made the decision to travel to the store, the customer was served by one of our sales consultants and was given an hour-long demonstration of these and other similar products in our demonstration studio.

Delighted with the demonstration, the customer chose the above products and opted to complete the paperwork for the interest Free Credit / Buy now pay later scheme.

During the above process the customer was advised that there would be a delivery charge for the item which was not in stock, which was the Denon AV Receiver as we had sold out the day before. The customer did query

the delivery charge at the time and was advised that the delivery charge would need to stand. The customer agreed to the delivery charge and the transaction was completed.

It appears from the customer's account written to you and the telephone calls received into our office that there are two concerns they have raised after completing the purchase:

1. Our sales consultant was rude in advising the customer about the

delivery charge both in person and subsequently when she queried the

charge on the telephone.

2. The customer was misled about the delivery charge by the advert

placed in What Hifi.

In answering the first allegation, we have consulted with all staff that

were operating on the shop floor at the time as well as the two

consultants the customer refers to, plus we have listened to telephone

recordings between the sales consultant/s and the customer. We can

confirm that there is no evidence to suggest that anybody who dealt with

this customer was rude at any time or in any manner. Indeed all the

telephone recordings demonstrate a polite and professional attitude

towards the customer throughout. It would not be good customer relations

to be rude and we are satisfied that this is not the case.

As far as the advert is concerned, whilst this wording has been in place

for over a year without any issues or complaints, we do accept that the

advert could be misconstrued insofar as that it is not absolutely clear

that the free delivery offer applies to mail order and internet

transactions and not in-store transactions. For the avoidance of doubt

the charge was correctly applied. [However we do accept that this would

not have been a factor in making the decision to travel to our store for

the customer as they would not have known what their final product

selection would have been until after the demonstration]. In any event

this matter will be rectified in the forthcoming advertisements in What

Hifi.

Finally and in conclusion we would like to state that having been in

business for almost 25 years, we have thousands of satisfied customers

and indeed we pride ourselves on the quality and level of service we

provide both in-store and on the telephone.

Our sales consultants take pride in selling our products and are mature

and established agents within their field. We also provide excellent

demonstration facilities and products at very competitive prices.

Indeed, this customer came to us because they were saving over £570 on top

quality AV gear plus they were being given 12 months Buy Now Pay Later

with an interest free facility and we also work on Sundays. We are

confident that there are not many retailers [if any] that can offer all

these benefits in one neat package in the country today.

However in stating the above we do regret that this customer feels our

service levels have not stood up to expected levels on this occasion and

as such we would apologise unreservedly to the customer if this was the

case. Indeed we have taken the opportunity of offering a refund of the

£29.99 delivery charge as a gesture of goodwill.

Regards,

Vimal Arora

E-Commerce & Retails Sales Coordination Manager

Hi Spek Electronics"

idc

I hope this works out for both parties. I just want to say that the continued assistance rendered by What Hifi to forum members in such matters is very, very impresssive
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts