Fake monitor audio

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
especially as further down on the same page is a pair of proper MA speakers showing how bad these fake ones are (tweeters are wrong shape and colour, plus the mid and bass units should have a dimpled effect on them).

*aggressive*

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
A similar pair came up recently and there was a thread on here about them and some AE speakers too. I would post a link but this site is causing me problems again, having to clear my browsing history to reply.

Maybe it's the same pair and this latest seller got mugged.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
How can you tell ?

the listing has ended but I noticed that there were no grill over the ribbon tweeter but I remember when I had a set of golds.years ago you could take the metal grills of with bluetac

Blacksabbath25 said:
How can you tell ?

the listing has ended but I noticed that there were no grill over the ribbon tweeter but I remember when I had a set of golds.years ago you could take the metal grills of with bluetac
Lots of ways to tell, including that it doesn't actually say Monitor Audio, but MA. (And the seller had five transactions 9 months ago, nothing since.) I think chebby reported to Monitor Audio in the earlier thread.

insider9

jonathanRD said:
A similar pair came up recently and there was a thread on here about them and some AE speakers too. I would post a link but this site is causing me problems again, having to clear my browsing history to reply.

Clicky

It's unlikely it's the same pair as I've seen many more since. I always report them but eBay is really slow to take them down. Sometimes they don't even bother. I remember exchaning emails with Acoustic Energy and a guy (sorry don't remember the name) told me that Gumtree is quite helpful but eBay is more difficult to deal with.

Some poor soul actually bought the pair in question *shok*

insider9 said:
jonathanRD said:

Clicky

It's unlikely it's the same pair as I've seen many more since. I always report them but eBay is really slow to take them down. Sometimes they don't even bother. I remember exchaning emails with Acoustic Energy and a guy (sorry don't remember the name) told me that Gumtree is quite helpful but eBay is more difficult to deal with.

Some poor soul actually bought the pair in question *shok*

If it sounds too good to be true then it is........ unfortunately.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The problem is when these speakers sound pants as they surely will, it will put the buyer off real Monitor Audio products. Bad news flies and truth walks, and so consequently the buyer could easily tell a dozen people not to buy Monitor Audio products because they're overpriced garbage, who each go on to tell another dozen people and so on.

insider9

I've reported this to Monitor Audio when I first saw the first pair. Not heard back, which is bizzarre as always found their customer service excellent. In full agreement with Major this has real potential to damage reputation of a company.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello Andrew, Your offer is confirmed. We'll let you know as soon as srslydelirious responds

Your offer is £1,999.00 less than the buy it now price

I asked for free postage also

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
Hello Andrew, Your offer is confirmed. We'll let you know as soon as srslydelirious responds

Your offer is £1,999.00 less than the buy it now price

I asked for free postage also

The problem with that is you're going to have to pay to have it skipped. So not worth it unless you need it for target practice if you're doing archery.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Yeah, the guy holding them up on his bed (!) is clearly a chav. If these were real, they would probably be nicked anyway.

ha ha! it's perfectly natural to balance a £3000 floorstanding speaker on your bed with a speaker stand box on top. *nea*

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
the buyer could easily tell a dozen people not to buy Monitor Audio products because they're overpriced garbage

Whatever. Not very different from their regular speakers.
120px-Transparent_Trollface2.png

if you have two grand to spend on a pair of speakers, are you going to be looking on ebay?

would this be your first ever hifi purchase?

would you be so naive?

i would hope not.

they look like the kind of thing i had heard about being sold in motorway services a few years ago.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine once bought some speakers from a guy in a van that stopped him on the street. Stooopid. They were truly awful

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts