Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Today I got 2 new cd albums

both form that same company one works ok and the other album my cdplayer rejects the cd so I thought I will try the same cd in my DVD player it worked so this tells me it's a DVD-ROM not a CD-ROM

is it a fake album ? I've looked at the art work , the serial number , the writing in the booklet it all looks normal to me I can not tell .

i understand that DVD players will play cds but my thinking is it's reading the DVD coding and not the cd coding now I brought theses cds on amazon though dodax from Germany and sure I've brought before without issues

can you have issues with new cds in the manufacturing process ? But also no that there are fake cds around and amazon market place has had fake cds kicking around from some sellers .

shadders

Blacksabbath25 said:
Today I got 2 new cd albums

both form that same company one works ok and the other album my cdplayer rejects the cd so I thought I will try the same cd in my DVD player it worked so this tells me it's a DVD-ROM not a CD-ROM

is it a fake album ? I've looked at the art work , the serial number , the writing in the booklet it all looks normal to me I can not tell .

i understand that DVD players will play cds but my thinking is it's reading the DVD coding and not the cd coding now I brought theses cds on amazon though dodax from Germany and sure I've brought before without issues

can you have issues with new cds in the manufacturing process ? But also no that there are fake cds around and amazon market place has had fake cds kicking around from some sellers .
Hi,

I recall Sony/BMG implemented a root kit software on their CD's in 2005, so depending on who made the CD, they may be implementing similar. Maybe try the Internet security sites?

Regards,

Shadders.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I've been caught out a couple of times. Bought Sabbath 'Live At Hammersmith Odeon' a few years ago. It was a limited edition only 5,000 made and each one numbered. My copy has no number on it. Plays ok and artwork etc. is first rate. Checked it out with Sabbath experts and I now know it's a copy. Quite expensive that one.

More recently bought the Stones 'Blues' album. Plays fine, artwork first rate (and in English) and came cellophane wrapped. But, having ripped it to my pc the band name and track titles are displayed in some form of hieroglyphics. Possibly Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, just don't know. Closer inspection shows the CD inserts were printed in Poland. So posibly the cd itself was produced there. Still fighting the seller on this one.

Rick.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
the other only plays in the DVD player which tells me it's a DVD rom

It doesn't. Just because your CD player doesn't like it but your DVD player does, doesn't mean it's definitely a DVD. Try it in your computer, see if it recognises it as a CD or DVD.

Also you must surely have at least one other CD player you can try it in, even if it's your car, or a friend's.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Good point about the car cdplayer I will try that tomorrow

i did try the cd on my iMac but my cd/DVD drive on my iMac stopped working 2 years ago I keep meaning to sort it out by putting a new one in .

it still plays cds but the DVD part of it stopped working but anyway I tried the cd but it got rejected on the mac as well .

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Old maxim - if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Back in the 70s and 80s fake cassettes were everywhere. Especially "down the market" on that "bargain tape" stall.

I too have been the victim of fake CD sales. A copy of a Suzanne Vega CD, clearly ripped onto a CD-R from a retailer and a photocopied sleeve. Sent back to Amazon and a full refund.

Not surprising there are fake CDs out there in droves. All it takes is a little factory somewhere and you can churn out thousands.

Obviously the hue of the disc surface can be a give-away, but as forgers become more sophisticated it becomes harder to tell fake from real.

Amazon and other retailers have a duty, moral or legal, to stamp this trade out and to blacklist offenders, but when the offender can simply re-register under a different name, what can be done?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how they make it pay. I couldn't invest in the required equipment to make legit-looking CDs, all cased, wrapped and with authentic-looking colour booklets, cd labels and tray liners, and run it at a profit when even premium CDs are what, £8.99? ****** that.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I sent a email to the company that sold the cd and explained the issue

i got a email back and they said they buy there cds from a trusted company if I was not happy I can have a refund and keep the cd in question . They said they would look into the same album batch of this album to see if the issue is with the rest .

i emailed back and said I would like to know the out come because it's so wrong in paying £14 for a cd just to find out it does not work or it might be a fake . But even the big honest companies I reckon get stung by fakes as they probably try to buy in the cheapest stock they can find so they have a bit more profit .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I thought I read about this before somewhere

now I remember what hifi did a bit about fakes on amazon the trouble is were do you buy them without getting a fake it's the first one I have ever had it was brand new still sealed .

Don't personally have a problem with so-called fake CDs. If you buy off these auction sites then expect less than kosher products. A few years ago a friend had a Yamaha CDR. I've probably got around 30 albums he's recorded for me. Sure the SQ isn't quite as crisp but it's very playable....

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I got the cd of amazon and paid £14 brand new which is around the normal price for a cd

nothing dodgy about were I brought the cd from I would understand if it was from eBay but it was from amazon .

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Was talking about PP getting copied CDs off his mate.

You're the victim. The vendor, whether knowing it sold you a knock off or not, is liable.

If you paid by credit card you may also be able to get the card company to refund your money.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The prescedent and the current law was set back in the days of vinyl records and cassette players in homes and, more importantly, cars.

The judge ruled it was okay to make a cassette copy of a vinyl record, if that cassette was used solely by the owner of the vinyl record for the purposes of preserving the vinyl recording. Distribution of copies, whether for profit or not, remained illegal.

CD-Rs originally came out for data storage, then some wizzkid developed software to copy music CDs. Nowadays DVDs and Blu-Rays can be copied too.

In the US it's technically illegal under Federal law to copy any digital recording (music, movie, TV show, etc.) for any purpose whatsoever, although I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for ripping their personal music and video collections onto a hard disk for home use.

In the UK I suppose one could argue copying legitimately manufactured CDs to CDs for the car or to MP3 for your portable audio device was the 21st century equivalent of making cassette copies of LPs, provided they're not sold, given away or otherwise distributed. - including over the internet.

Oh, and if the UK speed limit is 70 mph, why do they still sell 200 mph cars? Mine only does 155 (when it's running) BTW :-(

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
If the cd is only recognised as a dvd it may be a SACD. I had war of the worlds on SACD and didnt realise it was a SACD til recently.

TRENDING THREADS