Extending speaker cables on Sony BDV-E300

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I recently bought the E300 as an upgrade for my ageing Sony DAV-SA30 after reading the review in the January 2010 issue. The rear cables have to run around an arch in my room ( its only a small 3 bed semi ) and the Sub I have to run along a wall and under a table.

The SA30s cables were long enough, but the E300 were too short! I have contacted Sony to see if I can purchase longer cables, but all Sony can say is they don't sell longer cables or extentions, and if I extend them ' this would invalidate the guarantee, as this would be considered a modification. This could also cause safety issues'.

I find this lack of interest astounding! Nowhere could I find out the length of the cables before I purchased , and as the SA30s were long enough, I wrongly assumed these would be. If Sony insist on putting their own connectors at the player end, they must provide a way to extend them if they are not long enough.

I also noticed that the E300 has one optical input, not two as per the What Hifi review. I asked Sony if this could be used for my PS3, then run a pair of phono leads from my Tv to the E300. They informed me that the optical was for the Tv only and wouldn't work with the PS3 ( which it does! ) Surely optical is optical! Its the only way I will get 5.1 surround sound from my PS3. Surely Sony should have thought to put an extra optical for the PS3 ( which is made by them! ) I know I could have bought a receiver, but not worth the extra money just for one PS3.

The E300 is superb, but I think Sonys customer service is non existant. Buyers beware!

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you're junking the SA30, use the speaker cables from this to extend the new speaker cables. Do the new wires just have a bare end for inserting into the speakers? If so. I think you'd be better of using bullet connectors to join the cables together. No need for any expensive tools, they're cheap and just squeeze onto the end of the cable. You can use pliers if you don't have the proper crimping tool already.

The optical stuff sounds like nonsense. Use the optical for your PS3 and phonos for your TV (which it sounds like you've already done). Back when I had my DAV-S550, I had it connected in much the same way. DVD recorder to the optical input and TV on phonos to the analogue input. Worked without issue.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I do agree with you on the service from Sony - how longer speaker cables can cause safety issues is beyond me.

Have you tried going back to the retailer to see if they can help you out in this instance? Possibly it would have a good idea to ask the length of the cables from them before purchasing, but hindsight is always a great thing (especially given the SA30s cables were long enough). The retailer at least may value your business more than Sony apparently does and be more helpful...
emotion-1.gif

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
HHHmmmmmm,strange one the unit we were selling had two optical inputs,and on coax input,as well as analog(White and red sockets).Where did you get your unit from,also its worth noting that some units come with the i-pod dock and some dont.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replys guys

I bought it from Currys. It has one optical and one coax and analog. It also had the ipod dock.

Yes Big Chris, it seems like BS to me as well. The cables do have bare ends, so that might be a good idea.

As the retailer is Currys, I don't think they will be at all interested Professorhat, but maybe worth a try. Im going to write back to Sony anyway, as I think this is apalling service. I think running the cable across the room and covering with a carpet would be much more of a safety issue!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts