Extended warranties

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having finally decided on which TV to purchase, Samsung UE46B8000, I am now in the predicament of whether or not I should be looking for an extended warranty to go with it. I have seen the TV on line for £1660 which is pretty good but if you take into account an additonal 5 year warranty it rises to close on £2100, a figure most retailers seem to show but admittedly with a free 5 year warranty included. Robert Whyte Ltd, based in Glasgow, offer it for £1850 with a free 5 year warranty but is the warranty any good ? And would I have to get the TV back to them if it failed ? The reason I ask this question is that I am well aware warranties are a good way of increasing retailer profitability. Several years back now I purchased a TV and opted for an extended warranty at £220 to which if i didnt claim I received the money back at the end of the term. I didnt claim and I did get the money back which was great. What peeved me though was on unpacking the TV there was the option to extend the warranty direct with the manufacturer for a 1/3 of the price of the store one I had purchased to which if I had claimed would have been a far cheaper option. It may be such options no longer exist.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this matter ? Your comments would be appreciated. Oh, and I am sorry to go on !

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Extended warranties can be an expensive option. An alternative is to put a small sum of money (say £20) into a savings account each month so you build up a fund if any repairs are required after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

That way, if nothing goes wrong, you still have the money and haven't wasted it.

TRENDING THREADS