Expert help please - Marantz/Wharfedale system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I recently bought (4 weeks ago) Marantz PM7001, CD6002 and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 with Mission stance stands. My room is quite big 8mx5mx3m (24ftx15ftx9ft) and I usually listen on low volumes (around 9 o'clock). Music is from rock to classics.

I tried with interconnects: audio technica (10 years old model) and profigold (dunno the model). Speaker cables are cheap monster cable at 4 EUR/m.

I am not satisfied with the sound. It is very unopen, muffled and not clear/bright enough. It seems like someone put a curtain in front of the speakers. I like very energetic, detailed and bright (but not too harsh) sound with controlled bass. Sound gets better when I increase the volume but it is not acceptable due to disturbance of other people living around.

Do you think my choice of components was wrong? I am now thinking to get another set of speakers and options are MA BR5 or B&W 685? How would you compare those speakers with Diamond 9.1? Can I expect dramatic improvement with different set of cables? I tried listening in the shop with Rotel RA06 instead of PM7001 but the difference (dynamic wise) is not significant to rectify what I have at home right now, also Rotel is slightly raw and not refined enough, therefore I think Marantz components are here to stay, only speakers and/or cables could change.

If one is listening at low volumes (9 o'clock) is it better to get amp with lower power (i.e. PM6002)?

Cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The smaller marantz amplifier does sound brighter and more forward but its more because it is less refined than your 7001 and I certainly would'nt change it. Your speakers are really not adequate for either your size of room or the quality of the components especially the Amplifier. Personally I'd have chosen a different system altogether reading your preferences but that would inevitably involve spending a little more. As it is, I'd change the speakers for Ushers S520 or Epos M5i's, perhaps Rega R3's if you can afford to spend that much, all of which will give you more clarity, drive and bass.

You can play around with cables but I would'nt go wild. Sort the system first.

John Duncan

Tricky to get anything to sound good at very low volumes, except perhaps something low powered and valvey - iTube fatman is one possibility. I wonder though, with the Diamonds being quite insensitive, whether attenuators between the cd player and amp might help to open out the sound by having it belting a bit more power at lower volumes? They're available on eBay quite reasonably and might be worth a go.......

Does it sound good turned up?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments

2 Drummerman

What would you change regarding the amp/cdp? I still have a possibility to change it for something else (the same shop is carrying NAD, CA, Rotel)

2 all

How would you compare the sound of Diamond 9.1 with MA BR5 and B&W 685?

Sound gets better when volume is increased but still it is not good enough and I cant listen that loud cos of my roommates/neighbours.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
For 1k (which is roughly what the system will cost you if you buy the MA's or B&W's plus a hundred quid or so) I would buy AVI's ADM9 speaker system. You wont get more clarity even if you spend considerably more!

For a more conventional system I'd save up a little more and get Rega Brio/Apollo/R3. Find a sympathetic dealer and you should get a nice discount.

Both systems are a big step up from what you have. I would'nt bother with either MA's or B&W's unless you can buy into their respective upper ranges. Hope this helps

John Duncan

Well yes, but I was trying to avoid wholesale swapping - both my Creek and new Primare are really linear in terms of quality at any volume, but I still think the above system is salvageable (not by cables). Attenuators or more sensitive speakers (therefore hitting their stride with less volume).

I'd concur that the BR2's won't give you much in terms of quality, but they may be more responsive and work better in this context (at least their rather exuberant treble wouldn't be exacerbated too much by the 7001).

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all,

Since I do not have money for big step up (Rega system is much better but also more expensive), I was thinking that maybe MA BR5 would be nice improvement due to the pronouced treble (which will be balanced by Marantz amp/cdp finnese) and they are floorstanders which may(?) be helpful for big room like mine 24ftx15ftx9ft

Thanks

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd go for the B&W 685s and a really solid pair of speaker stands - will suit the electronics and your room. Oh, and please upgrade your speaker cables - they won't be helping the situation!

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare,

You think Mission Stance stands are that bad? Seem really solid and firm...nice looking too :)

I agree speaker cables are less than mediocre but dont want to upgrade cables if I am not sure what to do with speakers.

Dont you think floorstanders would be better fit for room of size like mine...something like BR5?

Also 685's are not as open as BR5...some would say as harsh as BR5?

best

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Mission Stance stands are great - they're the same design as the Soundstyle Z2, which are our current sub-£100 Award winners. But there are certain speakers (the B&Ws are one of them) that benefit from even beefier, more solid stands.

Floorstanders would suit your size of room, and the Monitor Audios are great - they may suit your listening style very well, as they sing at lower volumes - but the B&Ws are a step up in sonic ability, and will allow for future upgrades of your electronics.

I'd urge you to audition both pairs as soon as possible - preferably with your own electronics.

A

Anonymous

I havent personally listened to the 9.1's but im not a fan of Marantz lower end stuff particularly cd decks, if you like a fairly bright sound they wont do anything for you and will sound a bit washed out compared with other listens. The 7001 should be capable of sounding great though.

Those B & W's should sound spot on however, if you like music the way you descirbe.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
The 9.1's are very refined speakers. The 685's are also refined but has a bit more sparkle on top. I think you would be thrilled with any Epos' speakers. They are quite bright yet pleasant to listen to.

A

Anonymous

Personally I would steer clear of the 685s, which I think only really do themselves justice when well cranked up (you said that you listen at moderate levels with the amp at 9 o'clock). At lower levels I've found the B&Ws to be a bit subdued and wooly.

I'd agree with the Epos recommendations. They're brighter and more open with controlled, agile bass (but lean, so not to everyone's taste) and don't suffer when the volume is low.

A

Anonymous

So, it seems that MA BR5 are not ideal speakers for this situation (based on your opinions). Thats a pity, cos I can get them pretty cheap. From what I read here, they are easy to drive (good for listening at lower volumes), they are pretty open, energetic and detailed and they are floorstanders (my room is quite big 24ft x 15ft x 9ft).

However, I will definately go and listen some Epos speakers.

Thanks to all

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
luka2807:
So, it seems that MA BR5 are not ideal speakers for this situation (based on your opinions). Thats a pity, cos I can get them pretty cheap. From what I read here, they are easy to drive (good for listening at lower volumes), they are pretty open, energetic and detailed and they are floorstanders (my room is quite big 24ft x 15ft x 9ft).

However, I will definately go and listen some Epos speakers.

Thanks to all

...A cheaper option which I reckon would work, are a pair of MS 902i's. Suit Marantz too.
Worth a try methinks...

Also at the other end of the scale, don't discount the Dali Ikon 2 ...exceptional speakers, and incredibly detailed in the high registers .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts