Experimenting

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
This is a post for those that like cables and tweaking things.

From time to time i get tempted to maybe try a new product but as funds dont allow me to upgrade significantly i decided to sort out my existing set up today - my cables are hard to get at and hadnt been untangled for months.

So my set up was all the separates are connected to to a Tacima except the Rega TT which was added recently via a cheap extension. The amp uses the more expensive copperline mains lead.

I spent the morning swapping leads around and found suprisingly a significant change when i swapped the amp from using the Tacima back straight into the mains socket. The sound became more punchy and tighter, which on the face of it was great but did lose some of its ethereal softness in the vocals (which is nice for female artists). I would liken it i guess to having a valve like sound (Tacima) compared to a more solid presentation (wall) and preference is down to taste really.

The other advantage of using the amp direct to the wall with a normal cable is that the CD liked the Copperline adding more detail and clarity and Rega also liked the Tacima as well. The more i listen the better i prefer the revised set up so i decided to stick to having the amp connection to the wall for a while. What i will probably do is upgrade the mains cable for the amp as well.

The other item i tinkered with is my Little Dot III a valve based headphone amp that i use as a preamp in my 2nd system with my NAD C320BEE. I tried it as a preamp to the Arcam but to be honest it didnt really improve anything but simply lost a little edge and detail. As it really makes a big difference to the NAD i will leave it where it is.

So an interesting day which helped me retain and improve my opinion of the Arcam as a great amplifier, although its kind of neat to know i can change the way it presents itself by moving its connection between the wall and the Tacima. The wall does seem a better option.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i'm gonna do the same thing with my amp when i get some time and a 2m screened mains cable, same reasons really as i would like a spare socket on the tacima for something else and i know its been strangling my amp, im gonna have to use a double socket plug adapter thingy with the tacima plugged into it also, bit worried about no spike protection for the amp tho. ive seen surge protected adapters for pc's but i dont know if its good to use the tacima through one of these (or the amp). i suppose its gonna take a bit of experimenting.

A

Anonymous

I've always found that the pre sounds best on the Tacima and the power into the wall. One of the advantages of pre/power. I've spent mant hours experimenting with this. I also found that the Silver High Breed mains cable improved the sound of my AVI S2000MP to make it smoother and more natural.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I havent heard of the Silver High Breed before - my choice was narrowed down to a Russ Andrews Classic Powerkord (can be returned if it doesnt materially improve it) or the Chord Power Chord. I would have liked another Cleareraudio Copperline but the wall plug on this is too large for behind my sideboard sadly and i dont want to use the Tacima socket thats available.

One day i may just get an Arcam pre-amp or a power amp but due to space restrictions it wont be soon. Anyway the A32 does a fine job that i dont really feel the need at the moment.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Nearly a week on and the revised set up using the main plug to the amplifier is really much better.

If you like tweaking and upgrading i would certainly recommend moving your cables around to see if there isnt a better way of connecting your system up than your default one. You could end up with a cheap improvement.

I am a fan of the tacima but i do think it was placing a limiter on the amplifier somehow.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
it is my birthday this weekend - not usually that exciting now im in my 40's but my parents bought me a Russ Andrews Classic PoweKord with IEC connector and superclamp for my amplifier (well i actually ordered it as their eyes glazed over when i started to explain !!)

bearing in mind i have already gained some by taking the amp off the tacima and my cd is sparkling with its clearaudio copperline - this was about using the 60 day trial just to see and also get some protection for the amp from the mains plug

well the result is i am a complete convert to main filtering (but with some caveats) - the powerkord is a real benefit to my amplifier - cd is noticeable but as a double check my Rega TT sound really has upped its game on the detail and smoothness now - amazing in fact

so i must conclude that i have desparately dirty mains power (Croydon is densely populated on the outskirts of London and my house full of electricals so may not be a real surprise). i have always noted a flatness to the hifi in daytime and sparkle at night but the recent changes i made have improved both but daytime is a huge jump in performance

ok we can argue this but its real for me so i dont really care about those who claim i waste money. my caveat is that the tacima is not the place to put the amplifier as it strangles the power into it and i dont know yet if other mains blocks do the same.

i may have maximised this now with my current leads and a cheap tacima but i think i will look to go for a silencer powerblock eventually - and there are way more expensive mains cables to upgrade to which i have no idea if they are worth it - there is i am sure a limit to what a system can benefit from.

but as a start my system is really a good 20%+ better than it was before i started my first cable movements - and i only actually bought one more mains lead the rest i had already but not optimally set up.

hope you enjoyed the read - i am now quite sure that my system doesnt need new separates yet, just some tweaking. i am not even going to look at a speaker upgrade for now as the ones i have are singing better than ever. there is something to be said for getting more out of what you own that just quickly replacing to the next item.

A

Anonymous

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I'm sure I'll revist this stuff at some point but there's some other key changes to make first. You tightened up your nuts yet?
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts