Excuse my stupidity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Broner

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
@OP New technology offers great possibilities for those who are into hi-fi. I use my phone to select and search music and without using any cable, my hi-fi plays it.

Wonderful, isn't it?

bonzo101

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
bonzo101 said:
My son has an iPhone and an iPod. The iPod plugged into my pre with a jack to phono lead sounded better than the phone. He uses the phone more than the pod because he can keep in touch with friends via text. Have to admit the iPod was interesting.

Is it an iPhone 5S? If so I'm with you on that. I don't have an iPod, but I've been saying for ages that the sound from my older iPhone 4S is in a different league to my new 5S. I did query this on the Apple forum, but got nowhere. Firstly everyone thought I meant the sound from the internal speaker (which is actually better on the 5S than the 4S). Then when I explained that no I meant the actual SQ of the phone's DAC as output from its headphone socket, it's clear that I totally lost them, because there's not a lot in it when you only listen via the supplied buds, which it seems that's what 99% of buyers ever do.

Hello Major. I think it's a 5, not sure because the phone doesn't interest me. Keeps dropping bluetooth connection to the car sound system. The iPod is an interesting gizmo though. I took him out in the car and my car has a lead that will connect to the iPod and interface with the XFs sound system. Very impressive. I think I'm going to get an iPod and put my music on it for the car. Yes. I think it's a plan.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You need to get one of the older ones, like your son's, not one of the recent ones which will have the same connector has his iPhone 5

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You ought not have got (uncoiled yourself) out of the car, nothing good ever comes from such confrontations, I'm 54 & learnt that a while back, and as you were probably bigger than the headphone wearer a night in the cells is usually the end result - it's never worth it unless you were in danger.

D

Deleted member 108165

Hello Major. I think it's a 5, not sure because the phone doesn't interest me. Keeps dropping bluetooth connection to the car sound system. The iPod is an interesting gizmo though. I took him out in the car and my car has a lead that will connect to the iPod and interface with the XFs sound system. Very impressive. I think I'm going to get an iPod and put my music on it for the car. Yes. I think it's a plan.

Bonzo,

Sandisk Sansa Fuze+ does everything the iPod can do and there's no premium price to be paid for the "cool" Apple logo. Had my refurbed one for two years and it has never let me down. Get the 16GB version and just load it with decent 320kbps rips, (it's expandable to 32GB too, unlike the iPod). Check out eBay or Amazon.

bonzo101

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello and thank you for the advice.

The car will also accept a USB stick but I believe it is limited to 256k because I tried it with a WAV file and the console said there was nothing on the stick. But we are talking about a car here so I'm not too fussed about that function.

bonzo101

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Neptune_Twilight said:
You ought not have got (uncoiled yourself) out of the car, nothing good ever comes from such confrontations, I'm 54 & learnt that a while back, and as you were probably bigger than the headphone wearer a night in the cells is usually the end result - it's never worth it unless you were in danger.

Hello. Yes, you're probably right about that. I didn't go near him tho. Didn't need to. Just leant on the roof of the car, looked at him sternly and he scurried off. No harm done. And, in my experience working on the doors around the local area, it's normally the little ones you have to watch out for. Besides, I have to protect my door badge. Took long enough to get it.

Anyway, done is done and it's a bit off topic. Best left alone I think.

On the subject of the iPod and iPhone, I think there may be a fault with the Jags bluetooth receiver so I'll get that checked because it drops out with the other halfs LG mobile as well so might not be the phones.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Allo Jeff. Wot u doin on here?.

Have you tried re-sending the bluetooth request via the central display console to the phone?. Mine was a pain and dropped out too. Your XF is a 2011 if I remember rightly. Phone the garage, ask for Geoff or Daniel and see if there's a software update for your car. Might sort the problem.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
professorhat said:
The_Lhc said:
professorhat said:
Alec said:
I, too, like a fish cake now and then.

I used to, till I was found to be diseased...

You caught something from fishcakes? Or is it the bready covering that causes problems?

The bready covering gives me the heeby jeebies. I believe that's what the doctor said anyway.

Boo, I know the feeling, something sets me off but I haven't identified it conclusively yet. Porridge is really bad but I don't know if it's the oats or the milk causing the problem, so I just stopped eating porridge. I don't think white rice helps either but beyond that I haven't narrowed anything down.

D

Deleted member 108165

bonzo101 said:
Hello and thank you for the advice.

The car will also accept a USB stick but I believe it is limited to 256k because I tried it with a WAV file and the console said there was nothing on the stick. But we are talking about a car here so I'm not too fussed about that function.

It may only recognise mp3 files so you'll need to rip some high bitrate (320kbps) tracks to it. Just download a reputable mp3 converter to your pc to convert your WAV files, (I use foobar for all my digital audio media; can be a bit of a pain to get your head around it at first but the results are worth it). As a note the Sansa Fuse+ will accept and play WAV files, but WAV files do not support tagging. Wecome to the mobile digital age, though I would point out that I am not a fan myself; I'm stuck in the 70's.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
DougK said:
It may only recognise mp3 files so you'll need to rip some high bitrate (320kbps) tracks to it. Just download a reputable mp3 converter to your pc to convert your WAV files, (I use foobar for all my digital audio media; can be a bit of a pain to get your head around it at first but the results are worth it). As a note the Sansa Fuse+ will accept and play WAV files, but WAV files do not support tagging. Wecome to the mobile digital age, though I would point out that I am not a fan myself; I'm stuck in the 70's.

I think that's it Doug. In the XF it's a B&W sound system. The Meridian system in the XJ might take WAV but I don't think the 2011 XF does. Nice one Doug.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
lol if it's 256 of anything it'll be 256mb. Even that's so low to be unlikely. Definitely won't be 256k.

suddenly realised you meant the bitrate and not the filesize. Doh! Guess my brain doesn't work well at 7:46 in the morning when it was still up 6 hours earlier.

bonzo101

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

DougK. Thanks for the advice on the mp3s. Bang on the button. Now got 2 sticks full of music for the car. On the subject of bluetooth for the phone, it was me. Not the car. Broke the rules and read the handbook.

Once again, thank you for all your advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts