Ethernet Splitter question

Bsmooth

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
Hooking up a Node 2i and just ran the cable today. I have one ethernet cable going into a cabinet with my TV, AV Receiver and Node 2i. Now either the Node will be on or the TV, but not both unless I"m looking for something. heres my question, If I use a splitter with my main coming in to both the TV and Node, and only one will be on at a time, will both get the full signal?
Or If only the TV is on will it get the signal and If only the Node is on will it get the full signal?

RoRoAudio

Jan 5, 2022
Visit site
Just curious 🤨 you ran an Ethernet cable to where you have more than 1 device ? You say splitter I'm thinking coax cable. If it's Ethernet and your not looking to extend Wi-Fi+Wired connection. You can just add a switch that's better 100mbps. Every smart TV's Ethernet connection limits it's speed to under 100mbps. So if your Wifi on that TV is connecting faster just use that cable for your other device. I used a TP link wifi extender that has an Ethernet port and a USB Ethernet adapter for LG Smart TV now getting above 3-400 Mbps, also boosting my wifi signal in bedroom both 2.4 and 5 where I would drop off before. Now Chromecast soundbar and lights+TV Insynch!

Bsmooth

Dec 27, 2021
Visit site
I'm losing a lot throughout the house. Getting 280 mbps at router/Modem thru comcast. But If I use Wifi that signal speed degrades to 20-30 mbps by the time it gets upstairs I'm using Cat 6 Ethernet cable.
What I really want to know is the splitter for the Node2i and TV. I'll never run both at the same time. So do I get full signal strength If only one of the devices is run at one time ?
Trying to avoid another AC plugged in device.

DCarmi

As suggested earlier an unmanaged gigabit switch would be your best option. You can pick up such devices for not a lot of money.

If you are wanting wi-fi everywhere then you should look at some of the mesh wifi systems. I've messed around with extenders, additional routers, powerline, etc etc and mesh has been by far the best option, for me. You also want to look at systems with a dedicated backplane i.e. the router and hubs talk via a separate band from other devices. Also some systems support ethernet connections on the hubs.

nads

Be aware the speed of the switch ( the same as your connection) is stated for a single active connection. For example you want to do a speed check while streaming. That will be the speed after the steaming “amount” taken off the available amount. Opps don’t know the tech words.

DCarmi

At $8 you are not risking much to try it. I suspect given your bandwidth, it will probably be fine. The TV will not demand more than 100Mb and audio is less demanding than video. The reviews of that specific item are not encouraging, though and the cost of a basic network switch is not much more.

I'd still recommend researching mesh wifi systems, as a future upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts