Equipment racks and me

dexxas

Apr 16, 2008
Visit site
Im in a situation out of my control. We live in a upstairs flat. Due to logistics and cost and landlord politics and other matters. We are powerless to do anything about our moving floorboards. They move very slightly. Enough to make the CD jump. I thought buying an equipment rack would be ideal and solve this. Instead of helping the equipment rack vibrates when you walk across some parts of the floor. The situation you have is the remote control sitting on top of the CD player rattles as you walk across the room. What i would like to know has anyone here been in this position as well. I can not be trusted with a drill and screwdriver. So boring holes in the wall and putting up shelves is a no go area to. If i start that we end up with a some mothers do have them situation and all be left of the house is a pile of rubble honest. So plan C is keeping an eye open for a decent wooden structure i can sit my gear on. in the red cross charity shop.

Serious question i been reading about equipment racks. What purpose do they serve Be honest please with your answers please. Little thing for you to think about before you answer. An Amplifier is not a living thing its a metal case with transistors in made to a very hi standard by some very clever people. We are all agree about that. In layman's terms how would a lump of metal know whether its sitting on glass or sitting on wood and how To react. I was only reading the other day someone saying woodshelves makes there equipment sound so much nicer than glass. If this person 0ver 30 and worked in enginering factory and suffers tinitus i want some of what ever he has been drinking. or what his doctor prescribed.

I have been reading up a bit on this subject. These guys are not talking my language plain and simple im very much with the thread starter here. Trouble im finding when the nerds and anoraks or hi fi trainspotters fire up. Its like they been reading so many magazines t becomes fatiguing i get bog down in understanding the replies.

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/archive/index.php/t-3343.html

The quote of the week for me goes to this guy.

Quote /The other day I heard some very expensive Naim gear in a 'flash architecturally designed' room that made it all sound like the public address system at the Wellington Railway Station. :D They might as well have bought Bose.

So equipment rack do we need them or they just expensive little extras for the HI Fi hobbyist. is it a bit like buying a spoiler for your Citroen saxo :d

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Get your girlfriend to put shelfs up. Women are usually better at it anyhow, at least it'll be straight
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

i dont have a rack either at the moment and so have had to stack my pre/power amps with the cdp next to them. i thought maybe the power amp ( being 16kgs) was possibly affecting the signal rom the pre so i swapped the cdp for the power amp and put halved squashed balls under the legs. I think i am now hearing less distortion but am not sure if its my imagination!!!! Anyone think this change has had an effect??? (sorry not meaning to hijack thread!!!) was going to start new thread but this is isolation/rack related!!!! Thanks in advance guys

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
recently moved my kit from my tv's cabinet stand to an atacama av rack and without question it is better. my girlfriend who normally thinks i'm imagining such things agreed as well. an example, paolo nutini - last request from a later...with jools holland live cd. i love this song and have listened to it lots since i got the cd, the first time i listened to it after putting the cd and amp on the rack, i noticed there are 2 people singing on the chorus - never noticed it before. i moved the speakers while i fettled with the rack and am sure i put them back in the same spot, so the only explanation is the rack.

A

Anonymous

Dexxas, sounds like shelves are your only option mate! Without doubt to my ears what a hifi stands on makes a difference to the sound. Some racks make it worse, some just different and a few make it sound better. I would personally avoid glass like the pague. The best material I have found is acrylic, followed by wood.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I was a bit of a sceptic on this unril I got a new rack a few months back. I put a track on I've had for 20 years and listened to 100s of times. Oh my god, what an unbelievable difference. I have a Physics A level so I suppose that shows I'm a bit of a nerd, but honestly my cat would have noticed the difference it was so immense, the bass I hadn't previously heard shone through (not deep bass either, just a background ditty which suddenly came to the forefront).

My rack is wooden, solid oak, bespoke from hifiracks.co.uk and I have to say I'm somewhat impressed. Everything sounds tighter and more tuneful.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JoelSim"]I have a Physics A level so I suppose that shows I'm a bit of a nerd[/quote]

...........I guess that makes me one too Mr Simister..........at least I'm in good company.........I had previously thought I was alone ;)

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i too have wooden floors and understand your plight. firstly is it levelled correctly, this will help enormously, i use as much of the spike to really drive them into the floor. secondly use a spirit level, obvious i know but it helps. thirdly is the stand heavy and are all the joins tightly secured, just a little careful set up pays dividends in the long run. i have a 5 tier sound organisation stand with an lp12 on top so not ideal as the lp12 is prone to footfall. i don't have to tiptoe when playing a record but i do tread carefully when changing sides. you can buy adjusment cones that sit under your equipments feet, this can isolate the equipment further but as to the sonic benefits, for me this is a grey area but it might cure your vibration problem for a few pounds. i hope you get it sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts