manicm

I don't see the value of EQ on cheap devices like WiiMs, which many hype up on YT - including some professionals. If an otherwise good piece of equipment has no EQ, it's immediately dismissed.

This is a good explainer, and is in no way a condemnation of EQ/DSP.

What is interesting is unlike most other room correction/DSP technologies, Linn's Space Optimisation does not involve any use of a microphone, but does require the dealer/installer to implement it.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
I don't see the value of EQ on cheap devices like WiiMs, which many hype up on YT - including some professionals. If an otherwise good piece of equipment has no EQ, it's immediately dismissed.

This is a good explainer, and is in no way a condemnation of EQ/DSP.

What is interesting is unlike most other room correction/DSP technologies, Linn's Space Optimisation does not involve any use of a microphone, but does require the dealer/installer to implement it.

Hi, I absolutely agree with you. It is more important so select the right system than some fidly dsp or whatsoever. But I can understand people who search for such products. It is their way.

Reactions: Al ears

abacus

If you have a perfect room, then providing the equipment is neutral it cannot be bettered, however 99.0% of people don't, so if they want the best out of there system then DSP can help, anyone who says otherwise has not heard what their systems potential is. (Unless you are the 0.1% that have a perfect room)

Bill

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I tend to stay with a systems intended original sound (in that order) obviously because it's what I've built towards using my preferences to shape it so don't tend to mess with it especially after the effort.

Effort one might think is a silly word when mixed with HIFI but chuck in the various trips to demo rooms, hrs of research if not days and everything else especially when combined, then there's room acoustics to bother with which after months I'm still on with.

On that note even rudemantery room acoustics, inc the right placement of furniture or just a reshuffle makes a bigger difference in sound than Dirac etc ever could.
I have an odd shaped room with an alcove and I honestly found it easier having a slight reshuffle and fitting wardrobe doors on runners thus cutting off the alcove easier and exponentially better than anything Dirac etc could muster even with the hrs spent and knowledge gained using it.
The added wardrobe space a bonus rapidly commandeered by my fiancée

I instantly fell out room correction software for the most part finding it ineffective.
In Dirac I found a better type but because of having to be a contortionist with a microphone whilst also having to book in a further full on consultation with a laptop usually because of flat results, it usually ends in me playing command and conquer instead 😮
Don't get me wrong it absolutely has it's place with those who have no way of moving or adjusting a room etc.

I will say the lack of even basic tone controls on some amps is a real issue and step backwards from yrs gone by.
To me they far surpass Dirac etc in the "real world" situations I find myself personally in from time to time.
For those eclectic types cycling genres ie from the Lumineers and classical music to hard tekno and slash metal means that polar opposite amounts of excessive bass needs addressing.

Rudimentary tone controls usually take care of that instantly with the turn of a knob.
All instant and immediately solving the most common issues.
To me I find such room correction softwares more of a gimmick but absolutely see their uses for people with furniture nailed to the floor 😁
Or more realistically and often a partner who's opposed to the moving of anything they so perfectly placed

I've found tuning by ear with a good four band EQ like the Belleri 507 and common sense far surpasses Dirac etc (for me) on the rare occasion I need to adjust things from the HIFI's natural much sort after by me sound.
There's a little more on the bellari attached, I found it a little gem to tinker my way around heavy bass with the odd track and a host of other sound issues in my livingroom where my second hifi lives.

Attachments

• 1000000168.jpg
    1000000168.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1000000171.jpg
    1000000171.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1

abacus

I tend to stay with a systems intended original sound (in that order) obviously because it's what I've built towards using my preferences to shape it so don't tend to mess with it especially after the effort.

Effort one might think is a silly word when mixed with HIFI but chuck in the various trips to demo rooms, hrs of research if not days and everything else especially when combined, then there's room acoustics to bother with which after months I'm still on with.

On that note even rudemantery room acoustics, inc the right placement of furniture or just a reshuffle makes a bigger difference in sound than Dirac etc ever could.
I have an odd shaped room with an alcove and I honestly found it easier having a slight reshuffle and fitting wardrobe doors on runners thus cutting off the alcove easier and exponentially better than anything Dirac etc could muster even with the hrs spent and knowledge gained using it.
The added wardrobe space a bonus rapidly commandeered by my fiancée

I instantly fell out room correction software for the most part finding it ineffective.
In Dirac I found a better type but because of having to be a contortionist with a microphone whilst also having to book in a further full on consultation with a laptop usually because of flat results, it usually ends in me playing command and conquer instead 😮
Don't get me wrong it absolutely has it's place with those who have no way of moving or adjusting a room etc.

I will say the lack of even basic tone controls on some amps is a real issue and step backwards from yrs gone by.
To me they far surpass Dirac etc in the "real world" situations I find myself personally in from time to time.
For those eclectic types cycling genres ie from the Lumineers and classical music to hard tekno and slash metal means that polar opposite amounts of excessive bass needs addressing.

Rudimentary tone controls usually take care of that instantly with the turn of a knob.
All instant and immediately solving the most common issues.
To me I find such room correction softwares more of a gimmick but absolutely see their uses for people with furniture nailed to the floor 😁
Or more realistically and often a partner who's opposed to the moving of anything they so perfectly placed

I've found tuning by ear with a good four band EQ like the Belleri 507 and common sense far surpasses Dirac etc (for me) on the rare occasion I need to adjust things from the HIFI's natural much sort after by me sound.
There's a little more on the bellari attached, I found it a little gem to tinker my way around heavy bass with the odd track and a host of other sound issues in my livingroom where my second hifi lives.

Yep great, if you can treat the room, it's always a bonus, however Dirac (Or other room correction software) is not just EQ.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts