Epson TW 6100 hd projector gone faulty

harrisonp

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Seeking advice and help please.

My 3 year old Epson Tw 6100 has thrown the towel.

It has a fault where it will overheat and shut down.

Looking around the places I have found they generally will charge for collection and return and want a fee up front to look at it.

Epson want an eyewatering £470,00 to fix. They charge this as standard charge regardless of fault.

As it was a !k projector when new I did not want to just scrap it.

I live in Birmingham and cannot find a local repair agent so really stuck to know what is best.

Could anyone put a value on it if sold for spares, or possible trade in?

abacus

Have you cleaned (Or replaced) the filters as they clog up over time, also make sure the air vents are not partially covered up. (Also make sure the room it is in is kept cool with the hot weather we are currently experiencing)

Can you hear the fan running, if not then it will probably just need replacing, which shouldn’t be too difficult as projectors use off the shelf fans?

There are a number of Home Cinema dealers in and around Birmingham so give these a call, as they will probably know local repair shops.

Bill

harrisonp

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your advise Bill.

The filter is claen looks like new and room was cool with plenty of air flow around projector.

To give a bit more information regarding fault, the red Led's will start flashing ( overheaating warning) and the fans rev up then it shuts off.

This is the second Epson Tw 6100 with differant faults, the first got exchanged by the company I brought from with auto iris fault.

Are all Epson projectors prone to unreliability issues?

I will call one of the home cinema shops and ask for some repair advice.

Phil h

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
harrisonp said:
Thanks for your advise Bill.

The filter is claen looks like new and room was cool with plenty of air flow around projector.

To give a bit more information regarding fault, the red Led's will start flashing ( overheaating warning) and the fans rev up then it shuts off.

This is the second Epson Tw 6100 with differant faults, the first got exchanged by the company I brought from with auto iris fault.

Are all Epson projectors prone to unreliability issues?

I will call one of the home cinema shops and ask for some repair advice.

Phil h

Just because the filter looks clean doesn't mean it's not clogged up. I'd try cleaning or replacing it first, give the inside a gentle hoover or blow while you're at it. Then as Bill said, before you replace it find a little back street TV repair shoppe and see what they can do.

harrisonp

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again, I was also advised to check the filter for dust by a couple of repair shops I phoned, but it is mint there not a spec of dust inside the filter or housing, they also said could be lamp. If I sent for a lamp at around £100 and it did not cure the fault it would be £100 wasted.

I called Epson and they want £470.00 to fix. They have a fixed price policy regardless of the fault.

As you said I need to find a one man outfit who carry the parts and fix without getting ripprd off!

After all in was a 1k machine new only 3 years ago.

PJH

harrisonp

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I think the fans most be ok as when it's in fault overheat shut down mode they rev up to high speed and sound like a jet engine taking off.

Today I have found a company in Telford (25 miles away) who will collect and deliver free of charge if around Telford, or make a reasonable postage charge if not.

The actual estimate of repair is free.

When I get some more information about the costings i will post details as it may prove useful to others who are in this situation.

PJH

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts