drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just got a pair of Epos M12.2's for a decent price. - I don't really need other speakers but hey, I'll flog them on.

I used to have a pair of MS20i Pearls, which where pretty good so these should be similar.

These (I think) are the last Epos model made in the UK they have no Xover to the woofer and only one cap to the tweeter, which almost makes them active ... . Bespoke drivers, open cast heavy duty aluminium chassis, over sized voice coil and good power handling. Cherry veneer.

Anyone here interested, they will be up for grabs in a few weeks :)

Let you know how they sound in the context of my system.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Just got a pair of Epos M12.2's for a decent price. - I don't really need other speakers but hey, I'll flog them on.

I used to have a pair of MS20i Pearls, which where pretty good so these should be similar.

These (I think) are the last Epos model made in the UK they have no Xover to the woofer and only one cap to the tweeter, which almost makes them active ... . Bespoke drivers, open cast heavy duty aluminium chassis, over sized voice coil and good power handling. Cherry veneer.

If no xo then does the power split between tweeter and bass driver? I think nva make similar speaker and has resistor in wire and also need special cable ( going off memory only) to avoid damage to amp.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think it's to do with bespoke driver construction. The tweeter comes in fairly high blending with the woofers natural roll off.

Probably to costly to make speakers and drivers this way today. Most drivers are OEM sourced and perhaps slightly adapted on an individual basis.

I'm sure this Epos's way of doing things is not perfect either but the Pearls sounded good.

We'll see :)

Ps. Just found a review which compared them to large Ushers, small ATC's, some Quad 12L2 and something else. They did well so can't be to terrible :)

Don't matter to much anyway, they're here temporarily but interesting nevertheless as Epos tried to be a little different.

drummerman said:
I think it's to do with bespoke driver construction. The tweeter comes in fairly high blending with the woofers natural roll off.

Probably to costly to make speakers and drivers this way today. Most drivers are OEM sourced and perhaps slightly adapted on an individual basis.

I'm sure this Epos's way of doing things is not perfect either but the Pearls sounded good.

We'll see :)

Ps. Just found a review which compared them to large Ushers, small ATC's, some Quad 12L2 and something else. They did well so can't be to terrible :)

Don't matter to much anyway, they're here temporarily but interesting nevertheless as Epos tried to be a little different.

From what I remember positioning is crucial and that tweeter needs to be above ear level when in your one listening position. Worth a check I guess.

drummerman said:

This should be re-titled to any "Creek owners". The combo is great (allegedly).

A few years ago I heard the earlier M12 and they sounded good - wasn't blown away however.

plastic penguin said:
drummerman said:

This should be re-titled to any "Creek owners". The combo is great (allegedly).

A few years ago I heard the earlier M12 and they sounded good - wasn't blown away however.

Combo should be great as both were under Mr. Creeks' wing at some point.

I can see Creek amps taming the rather lively tweeter.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Re the epos es 14 speaker. Their mid/bass driver is apparently also designed for a minimum required crossover—in fact, there is no[/i] crossover in the woofer circuit; it rolls off naturally. There is a high-pass filter in the tweeter circuit, consisting of a single capacitor. (These facts from Stereophile review)

These speakers were evidently designed using Naim amplification. - I can attest to the excellent sound quality using a Naim Unitilite. A Cambridge Amp I used previously - more than twice the power of the Naim - did not sound as musically appealing as the Naim Unitilite. - System synergy counts for so much.

regards tonky

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I had Epos ES 11's for 22 years. The 1st speaker of the same size as the M12.2's are. I think there was a M12-i too, as the latest, but i am not shure.

They served me well, and together with a valve-amp (in the end) they sounded wonderful, but the tweeter was surely a bit too present.

Swapped them for my current speakers (3 times the price, and 20 years further) 3 years ago, to get even more 'valve-sound'. No, no competition at all. But it can really satisfy a lot of listeners, also because of their clear rythmic low end. Creek or Naim amps should work well. Worth the investment!

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
The ES 14's tweeter is even less forgiving, i have heard. The bass will be lower but also slower. The 11's are the better speaker by far. The shop where i bought the 11's stopped immediatly selling the 14's. But not a bad speaker at all, the 14 !

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't hear any problem with the tweeter in the epos es 14 and I have had a demo comparing with some standmount ATZ speakers (ribbon tweeters). I still preferred the es 14s. My brother has the ES11 speakers - very good. - but I still prefer the ES14s by some margin

The Unitilite goes very well with the ES14s - excellent system synergy. The bass is deep and expressive. and the overall balance sounds just great to me. In fact after the 120 W per channel Cambridge ( very clear but too dry a sound - lacking bass) it's nice to have some bass grunt.

tonky

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Not sure how they stack up to the original R Marshall designs which were highly praised.

It'll be interesting but I don't really have the space for more speakers so they will soon be on the way again.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Rethep said:
The ES 14's tweeter is even less forgiving, i have heard. The bass will be lower but also slower. The 11's are the better speaker by far. The shop where i bought the 11's stopped immediatly selling the 14's. But not a bad speaker at all, the 14 !

The 14 was always considered the superior speaker, which I think it was.

It was however very 'engaging', if they worked for you, they took a lot of beating, a small number of people found them slightly 'too much', I thought they were fabulous. They responded remarkably well to system upgrades, often ending up on the end of some pretty formidable systems despite their relatively modest cost.

One of our 'party tricks' was an entry level 'hi-end' setup comprising Xerxes/RB300/OC7, Onix OA21, into the ES14. Properly set up, it was stunning, both in hi-fi and musical terms and saw off many, many more expensive setups.

BTW. The bass on the ES14 was very quick and articulate, but that could be easily messed up. Stands were absolutely critical, I can not think of any other reasonably priced speaker that was as sensitive. The open frame stands were an absolute must, the heavier piller type stands that were just becoming popular made them sound slow and leaden.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
They arrived yesterday. Superbly packaged by the seller and before the due date.

Confirmation if needed that eBay is a great place for hifi.

Superb cabinetry in the mould of Ruark and Castle. Heavy too at over 8kg for a small speaker. The only thing that let's them down somewhat imho is the terminal plate. Something polished metal would have looked smarter :)

I haven't had time to try them as I've been working but perhaps give them a go this weekend at some stage.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Tight, fast with a lovely resolved treble. Very clear mids.

I can hear why Naim and Creek make good matches. I'd go as far and say this speaker would also be great with a valve amplifier.

In some ways it sounds like an IB design. There is no mid bass hump, no port noise. Bass just declines gradually and evenly, eventually getting quieter commensurate with enclosure size.

Me? Well, in the context of my system, the Epos sounds just a tiny bit to well behaved. It could be the room or it could be that I don't have open frame stands. I did use some light weight foldable stands too just to compare. My system has tight bass grip which probably doesn't suit a well damped design such as this. A bit to hifi.

Looks like they will be moving
on shortly after I play a bit more today.

'Appy Sunday my lovelies :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts