EPOS M5 SPEAKERS, ANYONE HEARD THEM?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am thinking about changing my speakers. I currently have Monitor audio S1's but find them too soft in the bass with not enough punch or impact for my taste.I have not heard the Epos m5's But have heard many good things about them. Has anyone heard them and if so, how would you describe them and any ideas how they compare against the Monitor Audio RS1's or B&w 686's?? I am not a huge bass freak, but i do like decent bass,drive, punch and impact in my music. My equipment is listed below. thanks.

A

Anonymous

The obvious candidate for extra bass would be to move to floorstanders, any reason why you wouldn't want to do that?

for example: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/product.php?application=&range=2&product=4&area=2

The RS6 from monitor audio may be what you are after if you go that route..

Anyway, they may be out of your price range, but what I can say about MA is that I own a pair and I think they are awesome, particularly when it comes to bass and I am a bass freak and IMO extension to the lower frequencies is where it's at and I find monitor audio do that exceptionally well.

What will help other people give more informed replies would be telling them your price range and what kind of music you plan on listening to. Plus, knowing your full system especially what amplifier you have is very important.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

My equipment is at the bottom of my posts. My budget is around £350.

I have had floorstanders before ( mon audio silver 7i) and liked them but they did not sound good in my smaller living room when i moved house. I switched to the S1's which i think are stunning for vocal and acoustic driven music but are dull for rock and electronic lacking the drive to do it justice. The problem is the bass. Its not the lack of weight but the lack of punch. The bass is soft, and frankly poor, for charging rock ,classical or electronic music. i think stand mounters like the RS1 and 686 can give plenty of bass if they are in a well balanced system. Enough for my taste anyway.

I demo'd the b and w 686's and the mon audio RS1's using a
oksan kandy amp,and found them both to be excellent, with the 686's being punchier sounding and giving a slightly better 3d picture, although the RS1's were still good in this dept, certainly far better than the original S1's. The Epos M5's have had some superb reviews but i would like to hear from people who own a pair.I would have thought that anyone demoing a set of epos m5 might have demo'd RS1's as they are roughly same size and price.

thanks.

A

Anonymous

I have heard DynAudio Audience and I can say Audience 52 or 82 will give you what you are after. Not sure how much they'd cost you though.

matthewpiano

Haven't heard the Epos but I'd certainly warn you to steer clear of Quad 11Ls. They are very soft in the bass and don't have much drive. I think B&W are going to give you what you are looking for more than anybody else, although I have found that the 640A isn't the best amp at controlling the low end. I'd be questioning whether your amp is good enough for the speakers you have. Have you heard your RS1s with another amp?

A

Anonymous

Agree on the amp comment above - I had a 640A for a (very) short while and while it was great in some respects I found it lacked grunt and punch (sorry, not very good at describing sound!). I changed to a 740A and really, really pleased with it. if you can find a way, it would be worth trying out a different amp.

A

Anonymous

The s1's sounded soft in the bass and dull with rock music even on the end of a roksan kandy. i think its the speakers more than the amp. I used to have an arcam a75+ which i used with the S1's. It was a £470 amp and the cambridge has far more power, punch and drive compared to it. I found the cambridge to be a little rolled off in the treble compared to the A75+ but when i added the power amp it opened it right up. It now has all the clarity and detail of the arcam but with a lot more oomph. I did read some reviews of the S1's a few years ago and it was commented that they were a little polite and laid back so i am not convinced its just the amp, although i agree that the cambridge is not the last word in authority.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]Haven't heard the Epos but I'd certainly warn you to steer clear of Quad 11Ls. They are very soft in the bass and don't have much drive. I think B&W are going to give you what you are looking for more than anybody else, although I have found that the 640A isn't the best amp at controlling the low end. I'd be questioning whether your amp is good enough for the speakers you have. Have you heard your RS1s with another amp?[/quote]

why did you change to the marantz PM4001? i have heard it and while i thought it was pretty good i did not think it was as good as the cambrifge azur640.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts