Epos M12.2 vs B&W 685

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Anyone heard both of these? How do they compare? Particularly, how good is the bass on the M12.2s as the 685s are supposed to have a very good and extended bass?

A

Anonymous

Hi m8 I listened to the 685's when I was in the process of buying my system. They sounded well. Tight bass with quite a deep and wide soundstage. Then I listened to the Monitor Audio GS10's. These blew me away

PLuKE

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
I cant comment on the M12.2's, But i can on the 686's. They are pretty good at everything TBH, Nice bass which goes pretty low and its tight, Midrange is sweet and the topend is good, But sometimes it can be alittle bright but that could be the recording of that song. But the best thing to do is listen to it yourself. As everybody on here might say 685's all the way, And you might have a listen and think "what!, They sound rubbish!."

Just my 2p.

Luke

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Howard, I agree with pluke ... take your gear to a dealer that has both products in stock and do a dem for a couple of hours. Then get your card out and take the speaker you like most home for a trial. Any good dealer will allow you to do that for a few days. I guarantee you the speakers will sound slightly different at home but you may like them even better.

Personally, from my point of view, there's no contest. I love the .... ! Musicality in spades, dynamic and beautifully built whereas the ... are fairly evenly balanced, UGLY and sorry, rather boring and unexciting. Especially the ... will give you a very tight, extended bass rather than the boomy or one-note one some others provide. This is partly due to the well damped bass unit and very rigid enclosure. The tweeter is an absolute peach as far as metal domes go. Clear and also lovely incisive. Furthermore, ... they have just been upgraded to i version and you will pick the 'old' (and just as good) model up for a lot less. That makes an already very good value speaker an absolute bargain. Ok then, I love the EPOS (also check out the 5's, slightly less bass but same tonality and depending on the size, shape of your room, they may suit you better). Still, the B&W's are decent too. Go and listen!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I was very impressed with the EPOS when I heard them, very musical and natural. B&W are always good on tight bass. What sort of music do you like? If it's just dance music then the B&W, if it's a mixture, then the EPOS in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Whoops I replied on my brother's account.

I do listen to a lot of electronica etc. but also jazz, soul, funk, rock, metal...

I will be looking to get a sub at some point as well, so considering this it looks like the Epos are the best bet.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I listened to the 12.2's & the 685 today too. Listened to them using a Project Expression III (not a Rega stockist), Arcam CD73P & switched between a Arcam A70 & Rotel RA-06.

My musical taste ranges from Classical to Hip-Hop.

The Epos performed well with softer music with a definite clarity to the sound. The B&W performed better with a harder genre of music because of their tighter bass. & the B&W's paired better with the Rotel.

I think I need 2 sets of speakers to accommodate my music range. Unless somebody can suggest another pair to put in the mix.

I'm afraid I do not have the luxury of bart2k8 to upgrade to a speaker that is DOUBLE the price of these two.

Suggestions PLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEE.

A

Anonymous

Hey Drummerman,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention I've moved & the new room they are going into is quite small 9.5ft X 9ft.

I have a pair of AE 109's which would over power the space, need room to breath.

Do you think the Rega 3's with their front porthole would be OK in this space?

I'm Demo'ing Rega & Arcam systems next week (Amp/CD/Speakers)

(the shop wants to show how good the Naim kit they hare is compared to these too as they swear by it, understand it's great but only if they can SLASH the price - not likely)

ssvirk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts