entry level equipment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello audiophiles,

over the years i've got myself a fairly respectable record collection, but never had decent equipment to listen on, so i've decided this is the year to treat myself. Now i'm not a lottery winner so i'm going for the best quality i can afford (once i've saved up the pennies). Having researched a bit i'm leaning towards:

project debut III turntable.
Cambridge audio 640p phono stage.
NAD C326BEE amplifier.

Does anyone have any experience with any of this equipment? Have you been happy using them etc?

Also i'm not sure about speakers, i want to wall mount them so nothing too big, any recommendations?

thanks for reading.

Tonestar1

Hi GWatt,

Welcome to the forum. I've not heard any of your proposed set up so wouldn't like to comment but I I'm sure some of the other folks will chip in soon enough. As for wall mounted speakers I wouldn't really recommend it (speakers tend to sound better at least 30cm from a rear wall). If that's your only option try to find a set that are ported at the front as that should help to reduce any bass boom.

Good luck

A

Anonymous

thanks tonestar,

the speaker info was very helpfull, the best laugh is i have an HND in music technology!!!!! but that was a long time ago. Hopefully talking to people like you will help me remember all the things i was taught about acoustics etc. I might even see if i can dig out my old notes.

cheers again,

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Another one for the mix:

Rega P1
Rotel RA04 (has a good quality phono stage built in).

Both are solid performers (and for my money the Rega is better than the Project).

For speakers, if you don't mind going 2nd hand, find a pair of well loved Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls - they normally go for around £50, and will see of most speakers up to around the £200 mark...

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
agree with the above but is it not the RP1 now, anyway the MS pearls are nice speakers but getting a nice pair for £50.00 is getting rare now as everyone wants them, bit like Heybrook HB2's, silly money, some going for 200 quid.

GWatt123:
Hello audiophiles,

over the years i've got myself a fairly respectable record collection, but never had decent equipment to listen on, so i've decided this is the year to treat myself. Now i'm not a lottery winner so i'm going for the best quality i can afford (once i've saved up the pennies). Having researched a bit i'm leaning towards:

NAD C326BEE amplifier.

Does anyone have any experience with any of this equipment? Have you been happy using them etc?

Also i'm not sure about speakers, i want to wall mount them so nothing too big, any recommendations?

thanks for reading.

Being Mr. Biased I would go Arcam DIVA A65+, Pro-ject Debut III or Xpression 1, and Mordaunt Short 902i. To me the Arcam is better balanced than the Nad and has a terrific in-built phono stage, and the tiny MS 902s should sound really good wall mounted.

A

Anonymous

cheers guys,

well you've given me plenty to be looking into, I won't be the most popular person about the house though, i've not made a dinner or washed a plate in a week! too busy looking at turntables and amps!!!

A

Anonymous

Hi fatboyslimfast,

Youv'e got me sold on the Rega,it gets a great write up.But i've got a newbie question, because the Rotel has a phono stage built in is it pointless to use a seperate phono stage or would you hear an improvement in sound quality? also would using a seperate phono stage conflict with the built in phono stage?

thats the most times i've written phono stage....................................phono stage.

A

Anonymous

GWatt123:Hello audiophiles,

NAD C326BEE amplifier.

thanks for reading.
Hi , it's been a while since my last post/reply . The kit you were referring to should be fine . The nad amp was voted product of the year and the CA phono should work well especially since it is an outboard unit . As for tt , rega instead of the project .
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Just had a peak at the 326 rear panel and it sports 2 connects for a sub . That makes it even more tastier .

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
GWatt123:
Hi fatboyslimfast,

Youv'e got me sold on the Rega,it gets a great write up.But i've got a newbie question, because the Rotel has a phono stage built in is it pointless to use a seperate phono stage or would you hear an improvement in sound quality? also would using a seperate phono stage conflict with the built in phono stage?

thats the most times i've written phono stage....................................phono stage.

The stage in the Rotel is a good one. The only reason to go for the Cambridge (or similar) would be if you wanted to change the cartridge on the P1 to a Moving Coil type. As these don't generally sell for less than the whole turntable, I'd guess that isn't likely...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts