Enough power for living room?(pm6005+Zenzor3)

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I am deeply sorry to start another thread. This first buy of a HiFi-system really is taking up to much off my time and thinking power. When i finally think i have come 2 a decision i start questioning my choice, or trying to finds some weak link in it. Why dont i just buy the damn thing?!?! I dont know......

I finally decided to go with the marantz 6005 and zensors 3. And now, off course, i start worrying. This time i worry that maybe it wont fill the room very good. My room is 10x4 meters (33X13 feet) and the ceiling is about 2.5 meters (8 feet).

I know floor standing speakers would fill the room better, but my girlfriend wont let any of them in, so thats out of the question.

Is it a decent enough setup?

UPDATE: After auditioning my girlfriend will let the white Zensors 5 into the house. Even though they are still small, will they be an improvement in my living room? Paired with PM6005 or PM6006.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
lennyjj said:
I know floor standing speakers would fill the room better, but my girlfriend wont let any of them in, so thats out of the question.

Ah, Lenny. I assume you're a young chap where what your girlfriend does and doesn't let in is of vital importance.

Floorstanders would be much better in a room of that size in my opinion. I assume you'd put the Zensor 3s on stands? I would have thought you could have made a case that nice darkly wood floorstanders with the grills on and all wires hidden were much nicer to look at in a room than standmounters on metal stands.

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
TomSawyer said:
lennyjj said:

Ah, Lenny. I assume you're a young chap where what your girlfriend does and doesn't let in is of vital importance.

No, we actually been together for 19 years. Maybe letting her be a part of big money decisions can be a reason behind that? :)

And it´s the speakers who are the main reason for not filling the room? Changing amplifier would not change much?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
IMHO small speakers are for small rooms.

I.e. student bedrooms, offices, recording studio mixing desk rooms, etc.

Floorstanders will not only look better than small or mid size stand-mounters but they will fill out the room better, sound better, give more bass, etc. etc. Floorstanders also take up no more space thans tand-mounters on stands. Different story idf, heaven forbid, she wants them on brackets screwed to the wall or on a bookshelf next to that awful picture of her mother (cue original Reggy Perrin hippopotamus shot).

Take the SWMBO along to your local hifi shoppe and let her see - AND HEAR- floorstanders and stand-mounters side-by-side.

Also might be worth hinting that standmounters are far more likely to fall over and injure the cat, or rugrats - NO, ON SECOND THOUGHTS DO NOT EVEN GO THERE!!!!

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Not really. In very broad terms, a speaker's sensitivity is its ability to convert electrical energy into sound energy and you'll see that bigger boxes tend to have higher sensitivities. More watts-in can help but, in my personal opinion (others may disagree) good big 'uns still beat good little 'uns.

***If English isn't your first language, the last sentence may not make sense***

rainsoothe

Hi. If your listening position is something like 3 m away, then it should be fine. But that system will never fill the room with sound. Also, placing speakers on shelves, will hinder the sound ever further. For a room that size, I'd be looking at Q Acoustics Concept 40 - or some recently reviewed Tannoys or Wharfedales, I forget the models, and Marantz Pm 8005 or used Arcam A19 at the very least.

Alternatively, the new Neat Iota floorstanders are pretty compact, but they might be out of budget. If budget is flexible, though, they are really small and worthy of consideration. Stick a used Naim Supernait (mk1) in them, and enjoy.

I also suggest taking girlfriend along to auditions, together with some of her favourite music :)

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Thanx for the input. It´s clear, it will not fill the room. Well, i dont think i can upgrade my budget much further (and really dont want to). Maybe i will be satisified just sitting in the sofa 3 meters away listening.

Either way, i never had a descent hifi-system ever. Compared to the cheap harman/kardon bluetooth speaker i got now there is a big change i will really love the Zensor 3/Marantz setup, even though it could have been better.

But sure, i will thinker for another week or two. Atleast :)

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Zensor 3s are £319 at Richer Sounds, Q Accoustics 2050s are £349. Assuming you can persuade your girlfriend on the floorstanders I'd spend the extra £30 on the QAs. They're at least as good quality, have a good balanced sound (in my opinion) and have a sensitivity of 92dB compared with the Zensor's 88.

As ever , audition if you can.

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
The prices seem to differ a lot between the UK and Sweden (where i live).

Zensor 3 are 351 pound here.
Q Acoustics 2050. Not a lot of stores have them and they cost around 600 pounds!

I think my best bet for floorstanders are Zensor 5. They cost 527 pound and are pretty compact for floorstanders and i can get them in white, which is a safer bet then black with the girlfriend.

If i go that way i can still pair it with Marantz 6005 i hope? This started as real budget thing, around 400-500 punds (which still is much money, to be honest). And i have soon doubled that budget. To be honest i think it´s stretching it to far. I never had a descent set up at all. Now i got a bluetooth speaker for 80 punds.

I went to the store to buy zensor1. Demoed zensor 3 and wanted them instea. Offcourse if i demo zensor 5 i want them. And then 7 and on and on and on. But sometimes i guess you just have to stick with reality, i am not a audiophile.
The best system i ever had was a friends old pioneer 5.1 reciever from 2000, with some matching speakers.

So taking in mind from where i come i think Zensor 5 and Marantz 6005 is a huuuuuge leap in the right direction.

Update: Me and the girlfriend are gonna a demo the Zensor 5s tomorrow. Hopefuly she will find them good sounding and not to big.

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Budget upped again!!

Well, not really, but it turns out exceptional-av.co.uk can ship to sweden for 60£. Then i can get the their bundle of Marantz pm6006 and zensor 5 for a total of 759£. If i buy the same things here in sweden it would cost me 921£.

Another alternative is to buy just the zensor 5s from elektrowelt24.de for 333£+shipping cost (They cost 526£ here in sweden) and just buy the amp here in sweden. It seems that speakers are much cheaper in England and Germany, but the amp is basically the same.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Don't wait too long though because prices in the UK will probably be rising for imported goods (like Marantz and Dali) so you're in a sweet spot at the minute where you'll get very good value for you Krona against the pound, but eventually the pound price for the goods will rise to reflect the weak pound.

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
True Tom. And i will have to do it before UK offically leaves EU :)

The downside is, there always is one, that now the Q acoustics 3050 almost seems within my budget. Can get them in white (the girlfriend needs white!) for 500 euro at the german site.

The more solutions, the more problems :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lennyjj said:

The downside is, there always is one, that now the Q acoustics 3050 almost seems within my budget. Can get them in white (the girlfriend needs white!) for 500 euro at the german site.

It's not to do with UK leaving the EU, its to do with rate of exchange, £ has fallen about 10%, therefore prices from Japan etc have increased, therefore retailers will probably increase prices soon. Don't wait until UK leaves the EU.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lennyjj said:

It's not to do with UK leaving the EU, its to do with rate of exchange, £ has fallen about 10%, therefore prices from Japan etc have increased, therefore retailers will probably increase prices soon. Don't wait until UK leaves the EU.

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
BigH said:
lennyjj said:

I was kidding about the EU thing. Because when UK leaves EU i also have to pay VAT here in sweden. You dont have to do that as long as you buy within EU.

lennyjj

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Im gonna order it very soon. Actually, the deal is so good i almost can not belive it. At exceptional-av buying just the Zensor 5s cost 549£ and just the Marantz PM6006 is 399£. So how is it even possible the bundle is 699£?? Have i misunderstood something? I actually e-mailed them and asked just that, they said it´s just a good deal they got going.

Cant get it really.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts