Eltax Monitor III vs Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 vs Mordaunt Short 902i

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I recently aquired a Cambridge Audio Azur 340C cd player and Azur 340A amp to which I've connected a pair of 10 year old Eltax Monitor III speakers.

I'm hoping for some input on whether its worth changing the speakers.

I'm on a budget and the options I've narrowed my search down to are some Diamond 9.1's or some second hand MS 902i's. I listen to a variety of music genres, although I probably listen to more mellow music overall, both accoustic and electronic. However, I do want speakers that can handle more punchy music such as rock and hip hop (not the gangsta stuff!!).

I'm tempted to stick with the Eltax but not sure if I'm losing out on a better output. I've also looked at the Wharfedale 9.0's that RS are doing cheap at the mo, but I'm guessing these prob wouldn't be up to the job as main hifi speakers.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A

Anonymous

What kind of improvement are you looking for in your speakers? More bass, more detail, better midrange or sweeter treble for example? What, if anything, do you think could be improved with your Monitor IIIs?

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Well to be honest I've been happy with the Eltax, but they've only ever been connected to a Sony midisystem previously. They also sound good hooked up to the CA cd and amp but dont know if the output would be improved with different speakers as I've had nothing to compare with. I guess I'd be looking for better mid range if anything.

Having said that, I'm now thinking that a better investment would be a better phono player as I've only got a basic Sony player that's designed to sit on top of a midisystem, and I've just started to rediscover my vinyl again
grin.gif

I guess the question is, am I going to hear a significant improvement with a different speaker to the Eltax without breaking the bank?

Cheers

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, picked them up for £50 new in RS 10 years ago and I've had no complaints. The Diamonds do look nicer though! ;)

I'm thinking Rega RP1 for turntable. Looks good and have good reviews. I'll go check it out in shops soon. Damn Christmas, I need to spend money on pressies, not a turntable right now.

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The Wharfedales are extremely underrated transducers. In my opinion light years ahead of the Eltax.

Both tend to run out of steam at higher dB levels though, the Wharfedale has the edge though.

A

Anonymous

I'd go for the MS902i :)

Seriously tho, the Eltax are lovely. But I have some original 902 and some 902 signature. Both are comfortably better than the Eltax imo. I haven't heard the "i" though (I tried all of them at RS myself).

Listening to the 902sigs now on my TV system powered by Yam RXV667 and it sounds excellent (although helped by the MJA pro 50 sub no doubt)

Laptops and beanbags FTW! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts