Elac FS 247 Black Edition or Audio Physic Classic 20

xnn3882

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi

I've been looking at this speakers. I may be able to get 15% off of a demopair of the FS 247 Black Edition.

They are both bottomported, which will make placement easier (can be placed closed to backwall). The Elac FS 247 is also rearported, but comes with plugs so they can be placed close to wall.

I think both looks great. They are pretty new speakers, so it's hard to find any reviews. The dealer of the Elac spekers sendt me links to some german review which I did not understand much of. Translating with google made much sense...

Anyone here heard Elac or Audio Physic and want to share their opinions? I want to hear!

Unfortunatly this speakers are not sold in the city I live in, so I can not audition before I buy.

I will be using them with the Cambridge Azur 851A.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi there

I haven't heard any Audio Physic speakers but I am a big Elac fan, having owned the BS 244 and 243 bookshelf speakers (in fact I'm still holding on to my 243s).

Elac's ribbon tweeter ("Jet'') makes the difference - you get lots of extra detail in the high frequencies. However, in some rooms with many reflecting surfaces this may come across as a bit bright, so Elac provides a unique tuning device to attach to the tweeter to fine-tune the sound and moderate the brightness if necessary. They also provide a pair of gloves so users won't damage the lacquer finish - a nice touch IMO.

I used to drive the Elacs with a NAD pre-power and the combo worked beautifully. I'm sure the Cambridge Audio with its 130W will work just as well.

Hope this helps.

PS. Do a Google search for a review of the BS 243 which appeared in another UK hifi mag a couple of years ago. I memory serves me right, it was Hifi World. Good luck!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
When I heard some AP Sitara speakers with a Bel Canto CDP and a Belles amp, they sounded musical, with a pleasant open sound, without being too forward.

I haven't heard Elac, but with your CA amp, you need to be careful with matching it to brighter, forward and detailed speakers, unless you are sure you will like the result.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Matching is crucial with Elac since the top is bright and exposed, very agressive-sounding IMO. Not suited for rock and other agressive-type music (metal, hard-core electronic,etc). Really good for classical, jazz, easy-listening, vocals. I will also look at the KEF R700s or Monitor Audio GX200 for comparison. I have heard your CA 851 amp. Amazing amp for the price, beats Roksan Kandy K2 IMO. Your amp is a good match for any speakers.

xnn3882

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your help.

I now have Klipsch F1 speakers. They are said to be a little bright with their tractrix horn. I think they work great with cambridge witch is very neutral sounding. I don't find cambridge to be bright as many people seems to think.

When it comes to music, I mostly listening to electronic, pop, rap etc. I don't listen to classical, jazz..

Maybe Elac is not the right speaker for me?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
xnn3882 said:
Thanks for your help.

I now have Klipsch F1 speakers. They are said to be a little bright with their tractrix horn. I think they work great with cambridge witch is very neutral sounding. I don't find cambridge to be bright as many people seems to think.

When it comes to music, I mostly listening to electronic, pop, rap etc. I don't listen to classical, jazz..

Maybe Elac is not the right speaker for me?

It's very hard to antcipate what other people will find pleasing, especially if they are buying blind.

I would expect the Audio Physic to sound a little sweeter but a little more recessed than Elac.....so if you can't demo for yourself, bear this in mind. They are both good brands, but with sounds that are very different.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Oh Gawd here we go again ,lol. To the OP, where are you based ?. Can you give us a link to your nearest Dealers ?.

Please if at all possible, Do Not Buy Blind.

Elacs , no idea about they, never heard any but gut feeling 'perhaps a tad on the forward side of the line' , just a guess really.

Audio Ps. Ah well, a few yrs ago i had various APs dropped on me by my Dealer mate, along with a selection of amps that he sold at that time. I just couldnt get anything like, to my ears, an acceptable sound from any of them. My room , more than likely. My buddy was having the same problems in his showroom. So he dropped APs, he would never sell anything he had no confidence in or to give a good Showroom Dem with.

Im not saying that they are bad loudspeakers, I would imagine a lot of folks love em. But with the faffing about with them we had I would strongly recommend not to buy them blind. Strange things !.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Im not saying that they are bad loudspeakers, I would imagine a lot of folks love em. But with the faffing about with them we had I would strongly recommend not to buy them blind. Strange things !.

The ones I heard were pleasant, but at the money they cost, I believe you can do better than pleasant. I know Acalex liked the much more expensive models he heard.

floyd droid said:
I remember one pair ( Virgo) had side fireing bass drivers , nightmare i tell ya Cno. Yip pleasant, i spose, but as you say.

Agreed I wouldn't consider buying any speakers blind (I did with my EB2's but they had a 30 day returns policy attached), particularly with reference either of the two mentioned.

I would agree the bigger AP's are difficult to place and require a room size that is a darn site bigger than most 'normal' people can accomodate.

I did, however, once own a pair of AP Sparc's that were a piece of p**s to position in my (smallish) room.

I would not advise trying to use the Elac's mentioned either unless you have a very good size room and can place them a good way away from the rear wall.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
I would agree the bigger AP's are difficult to place and require a room size that is a darn site bigger than most 'normal' people can accomodate.

This was the crux, now i think back on it Al. My room is pretty big , long and wide. But i just couldnt get the ruddy things wide enough without the aid of a sledghammer ,lol. My mates dem room is even wider and they still sounded s***e.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts