Easy to listen to speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Can you recommend any speakers which are very easy to listen to? I'm looking for some which are not bright in any way. I have found most speakers I've heard far too bright. Some sound great for very short periods of time but become tiring. My room is small so standmounts are better. My system is an Audio Analogue Enigma (which has a warm sound) and Naim NACA5 copper speaker cable.

Thanks alot!

A

Anonymous

Try the Wharfedale Opus series or the Dali Mentor series - both have a subdued, smooth yet savoury treble and are very competent in other areas - and while you're at it, change that cable - Naim cable is very toppy stuff IMHO. I used to find the same thing, but I got used to it after a while - the trick was to not turn it up as much and use vinyl (nasty CD stuff doesn't float my boat...)

A

Anonymous

Thanks alot, I'll check them out.

How about Spendor speakers, anyone got any experience of them? Maybe I should even consider an old pair of BBC LS3/5As?!

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

Edited by mods - house rules

Try to listen to the new KEF iQ50 at a good dealer, you'll be amazed at the sound quality.

the most important thing is to buy what you like not what a magazine says as sound is probably the most subjective thing out there.

A

Anonymous

PS If you really must have stand mounts then audition the KEF iQ30 or C3, ignore what the magazines say and you'll get a great sound!

A

Anonymous

Now you're talking. The LS3/5a is a fabulous speaker.

As always there are pros and cons. It won't play very loud and ultimate bass extension is missing. On the other hand the midrange quality (something WHF has given up on of late) is superb because each set of drivers was hand matched in the cross-over to meet the BBC spec. It has a high impedance which means it is super amp friendly - you can get away with an amp of good voltage gain even if it doesn't have too much current drive. In a small room with the right type of music this speaker is still great.

A

Anonymous

nice entrance sonic. first 3 posts one after the other. nobody can get a word in edgeways. I notice 5 posts in all, and all 5 knocking WHF. If you think there speaker recomendations are bright, why are you listening to kefs?

stop trolling

Sorry branoc.

I tend to hate all things bright aswell. Im happy to make sacrifices elsewhere to keep my tops in check. its harshness that really does me. Metal tops are a deffinate no imo. Recently ive been listening to some morel tweeters that i presume is the dynaudio sound. There the best ive heard as yet. They dont miss a detail, unless its rough. Like a silk touch to everything. open but never harsh.

Ive a good cheap trick. Although probably fround upon. Turning your tops down with resistors. It only works with bi-wireable speakers though. I take my single speaker lead to the bass units posts. I link the negs with the link as usual, but instead of linking the red ones, i do it with a resistor. I find 3ohm or 4.7ohm in the 5watt size handy. There wire would ceramics so thats all good, and only pennys from maplin. I realise its moving away from the original design, but i reckon a lot of tweeters are left a bit high for a lower component count, and it keeps the sensitivity numbers looking more respectable. The 4.7ohm option is about a 2db drop. A 1ohm is barely noticeable.

While the cross over point wont be effected with resistors before it, the amps power will still want to go somewhere. Blocking some volume from the treble mean that some of that blocked energy will pass through the cone instead. Most will be hf the cone simply cant reduce, so its lost still. Any extra energy coming through the cone around the crossover point will keep the volume slope there more textbook. The crossover is usually more concerned with saving the tweeter(from resonence) than stopping the woofer tweeting. What im saying here is, its not that bad a thing to do, if you have to. Only you can judge the compromise.

A

Anonymous

Thanks alot for your comments. Glad I'm not the only person who finds a lot of electronics bright. Accuracyisall, have you compared the IQ3 with the IQ30?

Thanks for your help, any other suggestions as well would be great,

Guy

A

Anonymous

Spendor loudspeakers are notable for being detailed but not bright or harsh in any way. They are not cheap but then again you know what to expect from cheap speakers; shouty treble and a sound that will singe your eyebrows off.

A

Anonymous

The Spendor S3 variants are great and quite laid back compared to many on the market. Their imaging is superb. The newer SA1s are a touch less warm but are also very good indeed. I would highly recommend them both. Worth every penny.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:Usher S520

That's my line
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

raypalmer:The Neat Motive line is quite relaxed.

Very nice speakers (a personal favourite of mine) but I have heard the treble get a little edgy at times; certainly nothing major, but if you are specifically looking for laid back speakers, they are probably not at the top. Another pair of gems are the Jamos of which the model number I have forgotton; they were in the February 2008 WHFS&V though so look or ask for a back-copy.

As for the flawed but fabulous LS3/5a, they are the best speakers for a second system - but not for a first as you will miss the bass depth and fullness of the sound after a while...and you can sometimes be put off by the worry of over-working them...however, they are absolutly fantastic speakers in the right context! My favourite is the Spendor version, but many claim the 15ohm Rogers version is the best!

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. There is another thread on this forum about What HiFi's £1M listening facilities which were acoustically tuned. Wouldn't it have been better to have rooms like we have? Of course I maybe wrong and they may test speakers in other different environments.

Anyone got any experience of Revolver speakers. Made in "sunny" Cornwall. Apparantly they are a very relaxed listen.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi,

For those of you who added to this thread and anyone interested, I've found a good pair of speakers, at least for the moment.

These didn't cost an arm and a leg as well! Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. £130!

They arn't perfect - they could go deeper and are a bit restrained in the midrange but for the cost they are excellent. Sweet but not too bright treble, excellent stereo imaging. They are front ported which suits my small room - not enough space to have them sited a decent distance from the wall.

I may get something better in the future but for now I'm very happy. Recommended.

Other speakers I demoed with my system and speaker cable:

MA BR2s, RS1s and RS5s

Totem Mite and Dreamcatchers

Focal 806

Kef IQ3

Rega R5

B&W 685

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Glad you found a sound you like, not always an easy thing to do! Enjoy, great speakers those.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts