Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Red wine ramblings but here goes....... lots of chat on here at the moment about the benefits/nonsense of bi-wiring, bi-amping, jumpers and speaker cables, nevermind the physics of carpets, curtains and diamond encrusted oak steel re-enforced shelving units. Different people have different hearing abilities so why is it so difficult for some people to believe what other people experience?

Currently listening to: XTC - English Settlement (sonically brilliant by the way)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Is that one of their more recent albums? The last one I heard was the one with the pheasant feather on the front, about 10 years ago or more. Very Beatles-esque if I recall correctly.

As far as the thread goes, I think some people like to stir things, and challenge those who have heard a difference to prove it, knowing full well they can't. I think people like to 'belittle'....

matthewpiano

A very good point. Listening to music is a very personal experience and the way in which we interact with our hi-fi equipment, both in terms of the way we hear it and the way we actually use it, varies enormously. Furthermore, this can change during the lifetime of one single person - what was a priority or perception five years ago might not be so now.

Live and let live is my attitude. I think some people get far too worked up about being 'right' and waste a lot of time arguing the toss when they could be listening to more music, watching more movies or doing something else instead.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I think you make a very good point about hearing/listening experience being very subjective, however:

I think you need to distinguish between room acoustics, where change can make a huge difference for even the most untrained ear to notice immediately, and cables and such where the differences are usually more subtle.

And again, i think there is a big difference between music lovers and hifi-enthusiasts who're in it in search of the perfect system/reaching hifi-nirvana, for whom tinkering and swapping components is part of the hobby.

good post though. I shall go back to playing MP3s through my Bose headphones now :(

A

Anonymous

You're right about the hearing. I know my hearing was affected by the years of working out on the roads. Using jack hammers and stone cutting saws etc without ear defenders. As a youngster I never thought it would harm me. It was only the last couple or so years that I really wore any hearing protection.

I have had tests done through work which have shown some 'holes' in my hearing range.

I do find that upper bass sounds can tend to have an annoying hum. That's the best way I can describe it. I have noticed at the Manchester Shows even on some of the high end systems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts