Earphone or headphone recommended for Astell&Kern AK240

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
While flipping tru whathifi magazine yesterday, this masterpiece Astell&Kern AK240 came to my knowledge. It's something that I have been wanting for. I check on the review and it really is superb in terms of build and sound quality. I also saw on the Astell&Kern website that they have custom tune the Astell&Kern Roxanne AKR03 for this AK240. I was wondering if anyone using this setup. And does it comes with balanced socket? Is it good or I shd opt for other earphone such as Shure SE846, Sennheiser IE800, or any others.

Its also yesterday that I learn about the 2.5mm balanced output. Can anyone advise if most high end earphones comes with this balanced socket? Or do we need to get the shop to custom make for us? Is there a plug converter from 3.5mm unbalanced socket to 2.5mm balanced socket?

Really can't wait to get this new toy.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If I were getting the 240 (and I wish I were), I'd get the IE800 and forget those others. The IE800 is small (an advantage), is single-driver sans crossovers (another advantage), and has what I think is the perfect soundstage. I suppose balanced mode with a different cable would give better channel separation maybe? I can't imagine the necessity with a really good IEM, but who knows what's inside the 240 except the manufacturer?

BTW, Headfonia has good reviews on the JH Roxanne and also the SE846.

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
Ok thanks. I guess IE800 would be my top list for now. So I was wondering the balanced socket, is there a converter for it or need to physically terminated?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
uniquexme said:
Ok thanks. I guess IE800 would be my top list for now. So I was wondering the balanced socket, is there a converter for it or need to physically terminated?

According to one review, there's balanced output plus a normal output. Why the need to convert?

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
oh really? pardon me because only few days ago it comes to my knowledge that there is such thing called balanced socket. learn something new again. but Sennheiser website did not mention anything about the balance output.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
uniquexme said:
oh really? pardon me because only few days ago it comes to my knowledge that there is such thing called balanced socket. learn something new again. but Sennheiser website did not mention anything about the balance output.

It is peculiar in that it's one jack and not two. I always thought balanced was two jacks, requiring separate headphone plugs for left and right.

uniquexme

Aug 25, 2008
Visit site
for this IE800, there is a 2.5mm male plug in between the earphone and the Y splitter, then connected to another longer cable with 2.5mm female socket at 1 end, and 3.5mm male plug at the other end.

Studying from the forum, a true balanced 2.5mm plug shd have 4 connections (3 black ring at the tip), however, IE800's 2.5mm plug (in between the earphone and the Y splitter) only has 3 connections (2 black ring at the tip), so if i were to connect to the 2.5mm balanced socket on AK240, i assume i would have to buy another longer cable with 2.5mm connections at both ends? Do i need to pay attention to the number of connections (black rings at tip) at both ends?

Is there an optional converter that can convert 3.5mm 3 connections (2 black ring at tip) to 2.5mm 4 connections (3 black ring at tip)?

Pls can anyone with this knowledge kindly advise? Many thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS