Ear health

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Most people take care of their systems but what about ears?

After a 2nd syringing attempt in 5 days, my completely blocked left ear is now back to normal. I've had wax problems before - always in the same ear (but never completely blocked).

The practice sister who carried out the procedure (no longer a mechanical plunger-like device but an electric pump that pulses the water here in the UK) asked if it was the ear I held a phone to. When I replied it was, she just nodded - she wasn't surprised. The same ear has been treated long before mobile phone use so was probably a general observation that holding any sort of phone to the same ear generated more wax.

If anyone is considering having their ears syringed, you will need to treat yourself with ear wax remover for a week before they will consider doing it. My surgery suggested olive oil. If you ear is only intermittently blocked, you may find it blocks completely which is very unpleasent if not actually painful as the wax softens.

As for preventative maintanence if prone to wax build-up, a few drops of olive oil every week, month or so will both soften the wax & lubricate the canal enough for it to either fall out on its own accord or be washed out during a bath. I cleaned the bottle of spent ear wax remover then refilled it with olive oil. I was also told not to use in-ear buds - the further away the transducer from the ear drum - the better! I was also adviced not to use cotton buds in my ears as well.

Fortunately, the greatly elevated level of Tinnitus has gone back to its previously intermittently low level.

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
hi

like you i also have tinnutus aswell as some hearing loss,i paid a visit to musicians hearing services and had some custom earplugs made aswell as some headphones they cost a fiar bit but well worth it.i don't have any wax problems anymore and with the plugs in can hear music better than ever

jon

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
celsius said:
hi

like you i also have tinnutus aswell as some hearing loss,i paid a visit to musicians hearing services and had some custom earplugs made aswell as some headphones they cost a fiar bit but well worth it.i don't have any wax problems anymore and with the plugs in can hear music better than ever

jon

My level of Tinnitus is fairly low & intermittent - I don't notice it 99% of the time so am lucky. From what I've read, most hear internal noise, whistling etc that can be perceived in either or both ears & even in the head & is normal. Some poor souls have it so bad that they go to bed with a radio on full-blast to get to sleep. The causes of Tinnitus seem to vary, some being stress-related as well as induced by high volume. To me, it's always been part of my life, is at a low level & have plenty of other things to worry about far more.

The advice to not stick anything in one's ears may not go down to well with those who have spent a fortune on in-ear phones which seem to be a fair bad idea. What strikes me though, is the high percentage of youth suffering from music induced hearing loss & Tinnitus

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
busb said:
The advice to not stick anything in one's ears may not go down to well with those who have spent a fortune on in-ear phones which seem to be a fair bad idea. What strikes me though, is the high percentage of youth suffering from music induced hearing loss & Tinnitus

As my old Gran used to say: "Never put anything in your lug-hole that is smaller than your elbow"

Currently listening to: Tame Impala - Innerspeaker

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
My problem is eustachan-tube blockage of my left ear which can leave me almost totally deaf in that ear for weeks after I've had a cold. From what I can gather, our Stateside cousins seem more on-the-ball with this problem than we are, and depending on your health-scheme they will provide you with a device called an Ear Popper which forces air through the tube to remove the blockage over repeated use. Apparently it helps in the majority of cases, though not all. In this country it's not 'NHS approved' and so you have to bear the full cost of £150, which is a lot of money to waste if it doesn't work in your particular circumstances.

celsius

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
i have the type of tinnutus where i have to lie down almost everyday had it for about ten years along with menieres disease if you have a good gp he can use crocodile forceps to remove stubborn wax.some gps will refer you to the musicians hearing services and they carry out more tests than the nhs do

jon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts