Dynaudio X14A or Xeo 4

MrTeles

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I'm considering buying X14a or XEO 4. Have anyone already test both with FLAC? Do you think that XEO 4 does a good job with with quality sound files? Or it is still better to have cables for a pure hifi sound?

Thanks!!

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I see you asked the same question on Audio Stream.

As you know, the XEO 4 is based on the X14a and uses the same drivers. With the XEO 4 you are getting on board DAC's, active crossovers and a power amp for each driver. The XEO also has the benefit of on-board DSP settings to help with room placement, such as positioning near a wall or room corner. The X14a misses out on that facility.

The larger floorstanding XEO 6 sounds very good indeed and the few reviews I've read for the XEO 4 give no cause for caution or concern.

The only downside is the limitation on the use of Hi-Res files (the Hub accepts up to 24/96, but transmission out to the speakers is limited to 16/48). However, bearing in mind the arguments about the dubious merit in anything above 16/44.1, if you are happy with CD quality, this shouldn't matter.

Save on those speaker wires and the cost of an amp. Sound quality should be on a par with the X14a, if not better.

Note: You could also later on add a XEO Link to feed another system, or active speakers elsewhere in the house.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Horses for courses. The X14A allows you to use a DAC/preamp of choice, which also allows future upgrading to new tech such as MQA. Possible downside requires long run of RCA or expensive XLR. The drivers and class D amps probably identical. Dyns need at least a 100 hrs to deliver their best. Happy listening.

Review of X14A & DAC here:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-streams-7#CPu0GLDZro3oaWKq.97

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts