Dynaudio Focus 220 or Audience 122?

I am looking to upgrade my dynaudio DM 2/6 speakers since I moved to a bigger place. I always liked there sound, especially the clarity (they are extremely detailed without being harsh) and there big sound stages. But they sound too small for a place around 30m2, I really miss some low end fullness. My budget is not too big, so I am looking at the second hand market. I am able to buy a pair Audience 122 (500 euro) or Focus 220(800 euro). Does someone has expierence with those? I am looking a bit for the sound of the 2/6's but with a fuller and more powerful low-end.

I am using an marantz SR6001 as amplifier for now, but it's possible I will swap it for stereo amplifier at later time, something like PM7001 or 8001. I was thinking about floorstanders because I have a lot of space around them (I can place them 1 meter away from the wall)).

How does the Emit compare to the DM series?

I am using an marantz SR6001 as amplifier for now, but it's possible I will swap it for stereo amplifier at later time, something like PM7001 or 8001. I was thinking about floorstanders because I have a lot of space around them (I can place them 1 meter away from the wall)).

Alberich

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
Bert Heeren said:

Not a great difference tbh.
Owned the DM2/6 and demoed the Emit10 and 20.
Maybe a smudge more detail and less warmth in the newer Emit's but still very similar to the DM series.

So I I have tested the Audience 122 today. I was really dissapointed, it even doesn't come close to the DM 2/6. The 122 are really bright and thin sounding speaker, soundstage and detail were ok but never spectacular. Bas was not full, bit uncontrolled.

Also tested the excite X14 which was a much warmer and bigger sounding speaker. Much less bright than the 122 but much more detail and a far more bigger soundstage. The bass was solid and punchy. Biggest improvement over the 122 was the tweeter, this one is so much more refind.

Tested for the fun also a KEF LS3/5 but it was not as clear as the excite (a little bit muffled). All was tested on the same cambridge audio amplifier (pre + power set, I did not check the excat types, my expierence is that amplifiers does not give major differences at some point above middle class)

This weekend I will test the focus 220 it should have a better tweeter than the 122, if I don't like those I will go for a better monitor with proper stands instead. Maybe a little lass bass but I can not live with a infrior tweeter.

gasolin said:
Did you listen to the other speaker?

Yes :)
I have listened to the Excite X14, R500 and the Focus 220. The KEF R500 I really liked but it was way above budget so the battle was between the X14 and the focus 220. The Focus 220 is a warm and big sounding speaker. It has really accurate and punchy bass response, combined with a large soundstage and really warm midrange. The tweeter is excellent, but less extened as in the Excite range, but still very detailed and never sounding harsh or artificial. The X14 on the other hand does not has the bass and fullness of the 220, but it has a bit more sparkling and neutral midrange. I feel the Excites are the technically better speaker. Difficult decissioun, when possible I picked up the X34 who probably has both, the bass and fullnes of the 220 and the sparkling midrgange of the X14. Finally I ended up with the Focus 220 and 200C center, I really wanted some more punch and a bigger soundstage, and I got a great deal on the center too.

At home they are great! It's the most dynamic speaker I ever had. I was litterly in shock sometimes when listening to dynamics records. Drive them with a SR6001 at the moment and my old DM 2/6 will be function as surrounds in some time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts