Dynaudio Focus 110 owners, I have got a problem please help.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Can you share which Amp, and cables you are using with Focus 110, I find my focus bass booming with Roksan L3 amp, I tried several position but all in vein, I doubt if it's my amp who is the culprit, I was thinking about moving to caspian but worried 70watts will be sufficient as I heard in several reviews focus require amp with power 150+.

I was also recomended Naim Nait5i but it also not powerful enough, I tried Cyrus6 also but doesn't like it's sound, Primare I30 is out of my pocket but I heard it's bit lean and flat campared to Roksan, Everthing is fine with my L3 except for Bass, maybe vocals could be better, other thing Focus really sing when volume is at 13-14 level but then bass overwhelms the entire soundstage.

Please help. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

The Dyns will demand current delivery, not volts, so the Caspian will be absolutely fine.

Tell us about the positioning of the speakers. Are they well away from corners and walls? To help reduce the overall bassiness of the sound you could try toe-in. Start straight and then keep trying small changes in toe-in to see how the sound changes. This will help to reduce the effect of strong bass by changing the tonal balance.

What stands do you have? What type of floor are they on? What sort of walls do you have?

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
hi igglebert,

I have them placed 50cm away from backwall they are on atacam nexus stands filled with sand with spikes on laminate floor, I tried moving closer and further away but still on some tracks bass still booms, distance between left right is 2m and listening position 3.3m.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have no experience with the L3 you're using but found the bass on the K2 not as tight as could be. If the two are similar then a change of amplifier could go some way towards alleviating the bass problem. Goes without saying that the source has impact too but as with all speakers, the room will have the final say on how successful or not this will be.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i used to have that combo, L.lll and 110s, the amp struggles sometimes to control the bass. i had mine 55cm from the back wall and toed in to point straight at me, thought it sounded ok until i heard an i30 with them, the i30s dry nature suits the bass heavy dyns quite well. i have read a lot of people really rave about an avi lsi amp with 110s, they crop up every now and then on ebay, also read reports of krell kav400 working well. i think if i still had them, i would put the avi amp at the top of the list. as iggle says, they need tons of current to keep the bass in line, but once they have that they are wonderful speakers.

Peter Larsen

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I own the Focus 110's and one thing they don't like is being to close to the wall. That will create the boomy bass you talk about.

They do require a rather powerfull amplifier, not in the sense of watts, but in being able to control the rather heavy driven speakers.

I use a Naim Nait XS with QED Revelation speaker cables. The amp I bought after having it recommended in these forums, and I'm very happy with it.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your suggestion and help, I've given up on Focus 110 after spending Friday & Saturday placing them with different position and even trying friend's Cyrus6 Amp, I think my room dimension aren't suitable for these fussy & unfriendly speakers, so will be putting these on famous auction site.

If I was a WHF reviewer I would have given these speakers 3 star simply because they are so fussy about position and doesn't go well with leading Amps, I don't think they will go well with Caspian as well and didn't like them with Cyrus as well.

I guess it was Monday morning when the WHF reviewer gave these speakers 5 stars
emotion-6.gif
, I was also shocked to hear that they tested it with Bryston's BP26 preamp & 4BSST which combined cost 5 grands.

I am also annoyed at Dynaudio engineer who designed a bookshelf speaker which need to be put in the middle of room
emotion-4.gif

I will now try ATC-SMC7 or 11 which Craig suggested in earlier thread or front firing small speakers to go with my Roksan.

I am deeply gutted and hence showing my frustration so apologies for my harsh remarks.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
NigelF:
I am also annoyed at Dynaudio engineer who designed a bookshelf speaker which need to be put in the middle of room
emotion-4.gif

i completely agree with you!
emotion-1.gif
personally, i love the dynaudio sound but they can be a little impractical with regards to positioning.

A

Anonymous

I used to drive the Focus with my Naim 202/200 and had never encountered any bass boom. Before you sell it away, may i suggest you to empty the sand in the stand and see if it works?

A

Anonymous

I may be stating the obvious, but I assume that you have the rear ports bunged!

A

Anonymous

Yep i run Dyn Audience 52se (similar speaker) off a Cyrus X-power and have the ports fully bunged with the supplied bungs.

jules.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
personally, i thought using the port bungs on the 110s robbed the speaker of 'life'. does mean they can go very near the wall though.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my MA RX1's.Tried everything - bungs,spikes,

positioning.Bass is still too much for my room.

Don't think dealer will have them back so will be selling them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts