Dynaudio Emit vs Excite

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Good morning fellow hifi enthusiasts :)

I was hoping to read some of your views / experiences regarding Dynaudio speakers and more specifically the Excite and Emit series. I have recently been testing the X14 at home (not broken in though) and I auditioned the M20 at my local dealer. I commented on this on another thread but I tought I should create a new topic to avoid derailing the other thread.

The Emit M10 and M20 are receiving a lot of positive reviews and comments. There is however not a lot of info on the Excite X14. Does anyone have experience with these two series? Have you managed to compare? If so please do share :)

I am finding the X14 an interesting speaker so far but sadly I have to return them before they are fully broken in. I purchased them new but one of them came with a small dent so they have to go back. I only managed to break in for 25 hours so I am not sure if that is enough. They are clean and clear. Easy listen for movies for sure. Music is not as exciting or full as compared to the M20 (listened at my dealer). The X14 do not need so much space behind. I was actually surprised when I placed them at 9 inches from the back wall. The bass is tight and clear with no overhang. They are very controlled though and that means some notes feel shortened a bit. Having said that, they only have 25 hours play time from new so could this change with more break in? Not sure.

I may try to borrow a pair of M20 for home demo soon.

Any experiences with the X14 and M20 / M10?

Cheers

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I had a chance to demo all three speakers in a direct comparison. In my view, there is no massive step up from Emit M10 to M20, but a substantial difference between M10/20 and Excite X14. The latter had much more transparency, and it was simply more fun to listen to. I think it is certainly worth to cough up some extra cash for the X14. No clue why the X14 didn't get the fifth star in What Hifi. A side note, I much prefer Dynaudio's Excite X14 over KEF's LS50 -- the latter in my view much overrated...

YiannisK

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Thank you very much for sharing your experience Timo. Out of curiosity what was the aspect of the LS50 you did not like? I have listened to the LS50s at a demo and found them to sound different to what reports describe. Namely I found them to be expressive / forward around the midrange and smooth / laid back at the very top. Bass was good with Rega / Naim amplification but weaker when paired with Arcam.

Would be interesting to hear more about your experience with them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts