Dvorak symphony No 9

matthewpiano

Yes, definitely!!

Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Rafael Kubelik on Deutsche Grammophon, recorded in 1973. Absolutely fantastic in terms of both performance and sound quality.

If you want a more recent recording the Colin Davis recording with the LSO on the LSO Live label is superb.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Yes, definitely!!

Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Rafael Kubelik on Deutsche Grammophon, recorded in 1973. Absolutely fantastic in terms of both performance and sound quality...

+1

Suggest you try to get this version, it's been remastered and IMHO it's a good 'un - sweeter highs, deeper bass, improved separation and impressive soundstage. (Eeeeee, makes me want a buttie...)

51lynLtcNxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A

Anonymous

Take a look here:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/81951/Antonin-Dvorak-Symphony-No-9-in-E-minor-Op-95-'From-the-New-World'

I'd go for the Karel Ancerl/ Czech Philharmonic (if anyone is going to understand Dvorak) on Supraphon as recommended by BBC Radio 3 building a library. They always have very well considered reasons for picking their reference recordings, you won't go far wrong.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So I brought the suggested version by Rafael Kubelik and I have to agree, I like this version very much.

I am by no means a classical music aficionado but my original version by Lorin Maazel and Weiner Philharmoniker all seems a little rushed and doesn't seem to 'rise and fall' like this version.

Since the last request was successful does anyone have suggestions for Beethoven's symphony No. 6 ?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Petherick said:
DandyCobalt said:

Is this in stereo or 5.1 or other, DC?

I don't have it in front of me, but I'm pretty sure there is stereo throughout, plus 5.1 or 5.0 options depending on which symphony you're listening to. I'll check later - it is on my pile to listen to over Xmas (that has been building throughout the year).

matthewpiano

Beethoven 6th. Well it depends whether you want a modern recording or an older one. Ultimately I'd choose Furtwangler or Klemperer for Beethoven, but with both you have to be prepared to accept less than perfect sound quality. Well worth it though!

My favourite recordings are Klemperer's 1958 recording with the Philharmonia Orchestra on EMI, and Furtwangler's 1952 recording with the Vienna Phil, also on EMI. The sound is extremely good for the time on both, but you have to accept it isn't going to be as clean as a good modern recording.

matthewpiano

eggontoast said:
matthewpiano said:
Thanks for bringing the 6th up. Now listening to the Klemperer recording for the first time in a while and it is every bit as good as I remember! :)
Are you listening to it on vinyl ?

I wish! On CD - EMI Great Recordings of the Century edition. I'm currently without a working turntable and waiting to get a new Rega deck.

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Petherick said:
DandyCobalt said:

It's stereo... and one of the best recorded (and interpreted) Beethoven cycles I have heard. It's a hybrid SACD/CD that includes mutichannel 5.0/5.1 mixes.

Edit... it includes the triple concerto too.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Mooly said:
Petherick said:
DandyCobalt said:

It's stereo... and one of the best recorded (and interpreted) Beethoven cycles I have heard. It's a hybrid SACD/CD that includes mutichannel 5.0/5.1 mixes.

Edit... it includes the triple concerto too.

The complete set is really value for money and when I bought this it was only half of the existing price !!! :)

The recordings are very nice but I only listen to SACD stereo and not 5.1.

The last movement of No.9 is very good to test your entire system. If your system is not good enough you will hear a complete mix up of chorus and your ears will get very tired and fatigue in a matter of minutes.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
If anyone is interested... by pure coincidence, dCS has the first movement of the Dvorak symphony no. 9 as a free .wav download (is approx. 500 MB). Am downloading as we speak.

The link was pointed out on another site populare with computer audiophiles ;)

http://newweb2011.onlythemusic.com/Downloads/

Back to the 'New World', I still rather like this one:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-9-New-World-Dvorak/dp/B00000E2K8

An unlikely combination of Russian conductor and Viennese orchestra, and most surprisingly, an early digital recording. I still have the LP and its first CD release. I'm in good company as in the late 80's Absolute Sounds, the importer, used it at a demonstration. Great sound and an interesting performance. Worth hearing even if you prefer Ketesz, Davis, Kubelik et al.

Many fine performances out there, including on Naxos if times are hard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts