DVD player for sound quality Marantz or Cambridge?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello Clare and fellow audiophiles, this is my first post.

I would like to find out which DVD player has the best sound quality between the "Marantz DV-6001" and the "Cambridge Audio Azur 540D-V2". My currently DVD player is a Pionner DV-989avi and the sound quality is very poor.

Many thanks : )

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
quantum:

I would like to find out which DVD player has the best sound quality between the "Marantz DV-6001" and the "Cambridge Audio Azur 540D-V2". My currently DVD player is a Pionner DV-989avi and the sound quality is very poor.

Personally I would stick with you Pioneer over either of the Players you have mentioned. Your 989 is a very good DVD player tho not the most gifted when its comes to CD playback but IMHO a better DVD player than either the DV-6001 or the Azur.

If you want to improve on the CD side of things as your Pioneer is very good with DVD sound I would either invest into a seperate CD player or up your budget a bit and look at the Marantz DV-7001
emotion-11.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
D.J.KRIME:quantum:

Personally I would stick with you Pioneer over either of the Players you have mentioned. Your 989 is a very good DVD player tho not the most gifted when its comes to CD playback but IMHO a better DVD player than either the DV-6001 or the Azur.

If you want to improve on the CD side of things as your Pioneer is very good with DVD sound I would either invest into a seperate CD player or up your budget a bit and look at the Marantz DV-7001
emotion-11.gif

Couldn't agree more.

John Duncan

Which was why I asked whether it was lacking for music or films - I'd have thought for films the Pioneer would be pretty good (or would be devolved to a receiver anyway), whereas for music, I was thinking the Arcam DV135 for 300 quid from superfi......

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Which was why I asked whether it was lacking for music or films - I'd have thought for films the Pioneer would be pretty good (or would be devolved to a receiver anyway), whereas for music, I was thinking the Arcam DV135 for 300 quid from superfi......

That would give better dvd playback than the Pioneer and decent cd playback too. DacMagic for £200 will be much better for cd playback with the Pioneer and if you have a decent upscaling AV receiver, the Pioneer will look great also.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys thankyou for the responses, it's a warm welcome for me and much appreciated.

The video quality of my pioneer 989 is good, however the sound quality is seriously bad. So much so that in my opinion the sound quality is not even as good as an older pioneer dvd player that was half the price of the 989. I'm sure the video quality of the 989 is superior to the marantz and cambridge, but I want to enhance the audio quality of my dvd's (i'm not in it for the picture). I did consider the more expensive Marantz DV-7001, but id rather not splash out those kind of dollars again for a dvd player.

The marantz DV-6001 and the cambridge audio azur 540D-V2 players both got five star reviews and both were said to excel in audio, and i have a hunch that for pure audio alone either one of them would be at least a little better than the 989 for sound.

Cheers : )

A

Anonymous

However its only a hunch. I suspect the marantz DV-6001 and the cambridge audio azur 540D-V2 players would both outperform the pioneer 989 for pure audio quality, but is a hunch justifiable to make a blind purchase? I dont know any shops that have the players set up.

Gary233932

Jun 15, 2007
Visit site
Just got a Arcam DV135 and for CD play back and DVD Sound it is very very good and the picture was very good in the shop running though a Onkyo 875, but if your amp is a Onkyo you may have problems getting a picture as the play I and others have seems to have compatibility problems, I think its down to the newer firmware on the DV135 but a £300 you should demo it.

TRENDING THREADS