DVD-1940 vs BDP-S360

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to upgrade my DVD player. I don't have any Blu-Ray content so was looking for advice on whether the DVD video playback on the current blu-ray players (e.g. Sony BDP-S360) was better than a dedicated DVD player (e.g. Denon DVD-1940) - I ask because I see both of these players at similar price points right now.

Thanks
E.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I purchased the Sony 360 recently, as an upgrade to my exsiting upscaling DVD. Not only have i been amazed at quality of blu ray in my own home, i've also been rediscovering my 700+ DVD collection. Upscaling on the S360 is great and i have no intention of upgrading my existing collection except for those most favoured titles, which is exactly what i have always done with sepicial editions etc,

Buy the 360 - less than £200 for a multi region DVD player, its a no brainer

Vance

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
vanceg:
Hi

I purchased the Sony 360 recently, as an upgrade to my exsiting upscaling DVD. Not only have i been amazed at quality of blu ray in my own home, i've also been rediscovering my 700+ DVD collection. Upscaling on the S360 is great and i have no intention of upgrading my existing collection except for those most favoured titles, which is exactly what i have always done with sepicial editions etc,

Buy the 360 - less than £200 for a multi region DVD player, its a no brainer

Vance

I agree. I went from the 1940 to the Sony BDPS550 and the bluray player is the better upscaler.

A

Anonymous

Yep, I had the Denon 1930 and upgraded to the BDP S550. Very impressed with the dvd playback - colour depth & image clarity definitely better on the Sony. Go for it!

A

Anonymous

Many thanks to all for the advice - sounds like the BR is the way to go for better upscaling.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
manicm:
So I didn't totally waste my money on the Sony 360 then for dvd upscaling (& Blurays of-course) then?

(I have the player but get my full HD lcd this weekend).

You will be impressed.

A

Anonymous

I have had the DVD-1940 reprogrammed for multi-region playback for about a year now. It feeds a Panasonic 42-inch full HD plasma TV. I have to say I'm more than happy with the performance of this DVD player. It upscales to 1080i (maybe p I can't remember) with no problems. On the basis of what people are saying about the quaility of Bluray recordings on the market generally and my large back catalogue of UK and USA bought DVDs, I have never even considered buying a Bluray player. Maybe when Bluray recorders become more prevalent and the prices come down as a result, and / or the quality of commercial Bluray recordings improves, I'll think about it. But not until then.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Darren Heal:I have had the DVD-1940 reprogrammed for multi-region playback for about a year now. It feeds a Panasonic 42-inch full HD plasma TV. I have to say I'm more than happy with the performance of this DVD player. It upscales to 1080i (maybe p I can't remember) with no problems. On the basis of what people are saying about the quaility of Bluray recordings on the market generally and my large back catalogue of UK and USA bought DVDs, I have never even considered buying a Bluray player. Maybe when Bluray recorders become more prevalent and the prices come down as a result, and / or the quality of commercial Bluray recordings improves, I'll think about it. But not until then.

The 1940 upscales to 1080p and I was very happy with it. However, if you can get one of the new Sony BD players for the same price of the Denon, you would be mad not to. I got my BD player to play multi region dvds for about £5.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts