Dust getting in my Hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon DM37. The top is covered with vents and I wondered what I can do about dust going into the unit through these vents and how I go about cleaning it? i realise I cannot cover the unit when its in use as that would be defeating the object of the vents!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This really used to bug me when I had an Arcam Solo-Mini. It had vents on the top and sides and I was forever dusting it (once a day anyway) with one of those 'Pledge Fluffy Dusters' in order to prevent dust ingress.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I cut a piece of heavyweight cardboard to size to fit on top of mine (same with my Marantz amp).

It's perfectly okay to leave on for 3 hours or so at moderate volumes if you have reasonably high sensitivity speakers: mine just stayed warm and never got hot. What speakers do you have by the way?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
I have 2 magazines covering the top of my amps.I dont even get them out when on. they dont get warm enough .

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. I will make a nice little cover for the top then to keep the dust off :) I just have the standard Denon speakers.

A

Anonymous

You could try something underneath it, something like speaker grille type material.

I know how bad dust is, my power amp runs at about 60 degrees and with the dust inside it, you can actually smell it heating up! Lovely
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I place an A4 envelope across the top of C/A 640 amp when not in use to prevent dust entering. Always remove it when fired up as it does seem to get quite warm.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow, I wouldn't recommend cover vents when the amp is operating. Even if it doesn't get too hot, it's bound to reduce the life of the amp, afterall, the vents are there for a reason. I just keep a dedicated duster near my hifi and simply dust it occassionally. But covering the amp when off is certainly an option although not too attractive.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:Wow, I wouldn't recommend cover vents when the amp is operating. Even if it doesn't get too hot, it's bound to reduce the life of the amp, afterall, the vents are there for a reason. I just keep a dedicated duster near my hifi and simply dust it occassionally. But covering the amp when off is certainly an option although not too attractive.

Agreed

The circuit boards are just waiting to break down

A

Anonymous

Hifi amps a meant to collect internal dust. It's just the way it is.

A

Anonymous

I suppose I could take it into work once a year and use a compressed air gun to blow the dust out! Or might that just further the ingress of dust to other parts of the unit?

karlmc

Sep 29, 2007
Visit site
thatsitivehadenough:I suppose I could take it into work once a year and use a compressed air gun to blow the dust out! Or might that just further the ingress of dust to other parts of the unit?

Wouldn't do that as some compressed air systems also blow out a certain amount of moisture. Seen it cause major problems on computer equipement. You could try a can of compressed air such as those used in IT.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
karlmc:

thatsitivehadenough:I suppose I could take it into work once a year and use a compressed air gun to blow the dust out! Or might that just further the ingress of dust to other parts of the unit?

Wouldn't do that as some compressed air systems also blow out a certain amount of moisture.

Also older unserviced compressed air systems can also blow out oil which would be a disaster.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
karlmc:

Wouldn't do that as some compressed air systems also blow out a certain amount of moisture. Seen it cause major problems on computer equipement. You could try a can of compressed air such as those used in IT.

I use 'cans of air' on my servers every 12 months as the heat-sinks in particular catch loads of dust despite all the fans. Lots of dust = more heat = increased failure rates on fans and eventually the components underneath them.

Industrial air lines and their household equivalent are tempting but as has been said, there's often water in them-thur-hills so avoid if possible.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
jaxwired:Wow, I wouldn't recommend cover vents when the amp is operating. Even if it doesn't get too hot, it's bound to reduce the life of the amp, afterall, the vents are there for a reason. I just keep a dedicated duster near my hifi and simply dust it occassionally. But covering the amp when off is certainly an option although not too attractive.

Agreed

The circuit boards are just waiting to break down

Given that my 20 yr old Class A power amp, where the mosfets constantly run at about 70-75 deggrees-C, boards are absolutely fine. Your average Class-D amp running at 20-30 degrees with modern PCB's will be fine.

T

the record spot

I wouldn't be inclined to cover up any vents on an amp, irrespective of the conditions around it. They're there for a reason, respect it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts