Dumb vinyl virgin question

Mr Compo

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this will sound abundently stupid to many of you however please forgive my ignorance. Why do some albums come over 2 disks on vinyl, not just one?

Chemical Brothers surrender is over 4 sides of vinyl and yet it is not an especially long album, it has a total run time of 58 minutes. Is it just the case that you can fit less on a significantly record than a CD? Or have I unwittingly bought some special edition?

Amyl Right Mate

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Mr Compo said:
I'm sure this will sound abundently stupid to many of you however please forgive my ignorance. Why do some albums come over 2 disks on vinyl, not just one?

Chemical Brothers surrender is over 4 sides of vinyl and yet it is not an especially long album, it has a total run time of 58 minutes. Is it just the case that you can fit less on a significantly record than a CD? Or have I unwittingly bought some special edition?

Basically, the louder an LP is cut the better it should sound. However, the louder the cut the less time will fit onto a side. A loud cutting is desirable from a signal:noise ratio prespective and should give a more dynamic sounding record.

Typically about 20 mins per side is the sensible limit for an LP cut at 33rpm.

Chemical Bros. are a dance act, hence their vinyl is primarily aimed at DJs who demand loud cut records (sound better in a club) with fewer, widely spaced tracks per side (easier for cueing etc. whilst DJing and less likely to skip.)

That is the normal edition of Surrender. There is a 3xLP version with the same tracklisting that was issued as a DJ promo.

A

Anonymous

Anyone who doubts this should hunt out an old " Golden Hour of" LP and see what it sounds like when they squeeze 60 minutes of music on one disc ( Yak!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts