Dumb Question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am having to start from scratch due to coming back from travelling a while ago and have had a good look round this site (which seems great by the way).

The system i had before consisted of a 5.1 amp with dvd player and flat screen.

Looking at things now i would like to get a receiver (by looking at this site the onkyo range seems tops). My query is with regards to HDMI swicthing. Does this mean that you plug everything (blu ray player, x box, tv, sky) into the receiver via HDMI and just use one controller for all?? Does the receiver manage everything??

Thanks and sorry if this is the dumbest question today!!

Cheers

Matt

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Matt, and welcome to the Forums!

Yes, you can plug all your sources into the receiver and then one HDMI cable runs to your TV. The receiver remote controls volume for all, and can (in some cases) be used as a 'universal remote' ÿto control other functions (eg play; stop etc) of those sources.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thanks on both fronts.

Was also wondering about pairing the receiver with speakers. Was looking at creative audios web site and they are doing what seems like awesome deals on Onkyo receivers. The one thats has caught my eye is the one pairing the receiver with the tannoy mercury F1 custom 5.1 speakers (got 5 stars from you guys i think) with a free sub upgrade to an MJ 100mk II. Is this a good pairing or is there something you could recommend over and above this?

Thanks again :eek:)

Matt

ps: does the onkyo fall into your "some cases" category?

A

Anonymous

Music as well as everything else to be honest (might even be a mixer if i have the space). As for the room i have no idea yet as ive not found a property as yet! I would assume that the room would be at least 5x5m (or if bigger i would look at this sort of area to have my system set up in, the rest will be for dining or whatever other things you do with a lounge). What i would be pluggin into the receiver would be the x box 360, maybe sky, maybe a panasonic blu ray player (just been reading the review on the latest one, sounds sweet). If thats what you mean by source player then thats about it Clare.

Thanks

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
All depends on what you want it for the size of your room and buget of course.onkyo amps are terrific for films but not so good for music. creative audio are doing good deals but still look around, you get get a 875 now for £599 at richersounds for vip members bargain maybe quad lites for £450.Dont forget speaker cable sub cable stands etc it all adds up.Try frank harvey good range may do you a deal , audiovisual or a1 sound do good deals for speaker cable. Good luck

A

Anonymous

the size of room as noted above mate, as for budget; about 2k would be my max for the reciever and speakers. Then of course i have to get the blu ray player. If i can do it ALL for 2k even better!

as long as it performs well for music (not looking for outstanding) then cool, the most inportant thing is having the grin factor when sat watching a movie or playing game. :eek:)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitely look at the Onkyo's for that, the 875 or above. They're definitely good enough for music for anyone but the very hardened audiophile and as for movies, I can guarantee that grin - I still can't help grinning when I'm watching a movie (even a Dolby Digital one, let alone an HD audio Blu-Ray!) and I've had my 905 for 3 weeks now!
I use mine with the B&W 685 Home Theatre system (well, M1 rears instead of 684s due to space constraints, but close enough) and it sounds absolutely fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Nice one mate. My first want was the B&W 685 untill i saw the deals for the other packages. I might bite the bullet and go for the B&W with the onkyo 875 (or above as you,ve said). What extra do you get with the 905 above the 875?

With regards to your somments on music, i thought that might be the case so thanks for clearing that one up for me.

Thanks for all the replies guys and girls.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The main extra that convinced me on the 905 is it has 2 HDMI outs - since I'm gunning on eventually getting a projector, this will be necessary so I can output the signal to both the TV for regular watching and the projector for big movie watching without having to mess around with cables at the back.
The 905 is also network enabled so you can plug an ethernet cable into it and play any MP3s stored on a shared device on your network (e.g. Windows Media Player) or connect to and play internet radio stations. It has a bit more power (220W per channel vs 200W per channel) and I think uses some higher quality components onboard, but then it is generally about £200 - £300 more than the 875.

A

Anonymous

Gotcha. Does the ethernet enable you do send things wireless with an attachment?

Would you say that this set up would be fine for the size of room i am estimating it to be in? 5x5m say.

Thanks again

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Do you mean a wireless bridge like one of these? If so, don't see why not though I haven't tried it as mine is just cabled in to my home network.
My room is 20ft by 15ft (sorry, never got into the metres thing!) so I think this should be okay in yours too.

A

Anonymous

showing your age there then prof ;o)

20x15 is a bit bigger than 5 x 5 but not much so that all sounds ok.

So i think im pretty much sold on that lot now. The final question would be, where do you guys think is best to buy this lot? who is likely to do the best deal and have a good rep for after service etc? Will be getting a W series bravia and a blu ray player of some sort also.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Thanks mate, looks like they are similar prices all over really.

So would everyone else concur that this is probably the best set up for my requirements?

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts