Dumb question? Probably

JohnD

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
hi,

Currently streaming wireless. Wired connection would require about 8m ethernet connection and probably not an option.

There seems to be differing schools of thought on whether wireless or wired is better.

My wi fi connection is pretty solid and stable so not really having any drop out issues.

Question is:-

Would there be any benefit if I wire my laptop to my streamer. My thought is no, as there is still wireless in the chain (router to laptop) but I am a bit stupid when it comes to all things techy.

Cheers
John

GroeneLeeuw

Nov 4, 2019
Visit site
It won't make any difference in terms of sounds quality, no reason why it should!
Advantage of having a wired connection will be stability (no drop outs) but it doesn't really apply in your case if your wifi is strong and stable

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 116933

Cheers, thanks for that. One less thing I need to think about (y)

but then you need to ask yourself, at that point why would need the streamer if you're hard wiring from a laptop to the streamer? all the benefits of that said streamer are then largely lost and the computer arguable will do more and better

i can understand hard wiring the streamer to the network though

if i'm understanding you correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
but then you need to ask yourself, at that point why would need the streamer if you're hard wiring from a laptop to the streamer? all the benefits of that said streamer are then largely lost and the computer arguable will do more and better

i can understand hard wiring the streamer though to the network though

if i'm understanding you correctly.
Fair point, never thought about it like that. Cheers john

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

It's all about bandwidth :). If you are doing a compressed wireless stream from the internet/local device you should be ok. At higher resolutions you may encounter issues if you are using older Wireless a/b/g technology @2.4ghz.

These would mainly be environmental factors based on usual suspects:
1) How many people/Devices are using the wireless at the same time you are
2) What is the location of the Router to yourself. I.e. line of sight, or do you have old fashioned thick walls or metal surfaces in the way etc.
3) Wireless channel conflicts with other nearby residents. (Their are only 3 clean channels on 2.4Ghz)

If you have a 5Ghz router with devices operating at 5Ghz, 1 & 3 become less of an issue as later generations (especially AC) will have multiple wireless radios to handle concurrent connections, and have more wireless channels to utilize, so picking a clear channel should be much simpler, not to mention that 5Ghz offers alot more bandwidth.

If you are doing hi-res uncompressed streaming however, you want a cable all day long.

Lastly, it's always worth remembering that most streamers will likely be using UDP packets (which are fire and forget) rather than TCP (acknowledge and resend). Again to ensure you don't have issues on quality and packet loss, typically wired is preferred where wireless signal is average/weak and at higher bit-rates and resolutions.

Last edited:

JohnD

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Many thanks for your message, much appreciated

I see there are some websites for checking bandwidth so will have a look at that.
Signal needs to pass through a couple of thick old walls
Currently use tidal HiFi so uncompressed?

It's the usual story though isn't it, really only way I am going to find out is spend some money and buy the cable and compare. Leads me to another question, I see there are differing Categories of cable but my streamer instruction manual doesn't specify what I should be going for.

Possibly a bit of negotiating required :Dbut nothing to stop me from just running the cable as and when required. Wireless for some background music, wired (on the assumption it does make a difference) when I want to sit and enjoy with a beer or three.

It's a chuffing minefield though!

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
Hi John

Currently use tidal HiFi so uncompressed?

Having done a quick check on Tidals website support pages.

- Tidal Hifi stream size = 16bit 44.1Khz ~ 1411.2kbps (approx 14.1mbps)
- Tidal Master Stream (MQA) = Depends on the master recording. At the moment the highest master recordings i'm aware of are 32bit 768khz ~ 49152kbps (approx 49mbps) (Definitely not suitable for 2.4Ghz WiFi transmission)

As for whether or not wifi bandwidth is big enough, your laptop usually should be able to tell you what the connectivity speed is you are getting to your router wherever you are.

It's the usual story though isn't it, really only way I am going to find out is spend some money and buy the cable and compare. Leads me to another question, I see there are differing Categories of cable but my streamer instruction manual doesn't specify what I should be going for.

CAT5e should always be used as a bare minimum standard.

Understanding the different cable type Acronnyms is also helpful :) Common ones are below:

UTP = Unshielded Twisted Pair (Cabling has no shielding)
U/FTP = Unshielded Foiled Twisted Pair (Cabe is unshielded, but wires are protected by Metalic Foil)
STP = Shielded Twisted Pair (Cable is shielded, but Wires are not)
S/FTP = Shielded Foiled Twisted Pair (Cable is shielded, Wires are protected by Metalic Foil)

In your use case, if the cable that traverses near any devices that produce EM interference (in this case things like subwoofers, christmas lights, and the like) you'd probably be best of with CAT6A U/FTP. U/FTP is much more flexible to handle and store than S/FTP cabling, and you really only need to be looking at S/FTP if the cable is going long distance or passing though heavy EM environments. CAT6A will benefit you for any high bit rate streaming. Unless you have a bespoke home/business requirement you wont be utiliaizing speeds over 1gb on your network interfaces. :) Distance between your location and the router is also short, so you shouldn't need to go for any higher grade cable than that.

Last edited:

JohnD

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks again for all that, this is all a massive help. Beginning to see the wood from the trees a wee bit.

Currently sitting at around 77mbps on wireless.

Cheers
John

ThisIsJimmy

Nov 11, 2020
Visit site
No problems John. 77mbps on wireless tells me you are on a 5Ghz WiFi band. :)

Finally, If you ever consider subscriptions for master/Hi-res streams in the future it's worth ensuring your internet will support that. Bandwidth requirements will vary per subscription service. Most streams will offer a compressed service as it's not practical to stream uncompressed, but it's always worth checking.

Jimmy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts