dumb blueray required

KISS

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
We have a small and useless sony blueray player.

It's been a pretty awful experience.. takes for ever to boot and it's responsiveness to the remote control has been glacial at best. It has been embude with excessive functionality at the expense of usability.

Now it's started to play clean disks erratically so it's time to get one that works.. which means less "gizmos". We don't want it to connect to anything other than outputting on HDMI to the TV.. that's it, no wifi, no streaming, no cloud anything, just a DVD/Blueray player.... simple.. KISS.. more importantly I don't want one that will spend it's life permanently bleating it can't see the internet or whatever.

So are there any Blueray players that are as responsive and boring as the VHS players of old, and have minimal "brain" so the kids can't send it into la-la-land by pressing a million random buttons?.. I want plug, play, forget.

KISS said:

It's been a pretty awful experience.. takes for ever to boot and it's responsiveness to the remote control has been glacial at best. It has been embude with excessive functionality at the expense of usability.

Now it's started to play clean disks erratically so it's time to get one that works.. which means less "gizmos". We don't want it to connect to anything other than outputting on HDMI to the TV.. that's it, no wifi, no streaming, no cloud anything, just a DVD/Blueray player.... simple.. KISS.. more importantly I don't want one that will spend it's life permanently bleating it can't see the internet or whatever.

So are there any Blueray players that are as responsive and boring as the VHS players of old, and have minimal "brain" so the kids can't send it into la-la-land by pressing a million random buttons?.. I want plug, play, forget.

In a word: No. Nearly all have 'toys' on them. I suppose they're pandering to customer needs. I can highly recommend Panasonic, though. I own a former flagship model.

Take a look at this and see if this floats your boat.

KISS

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
thanks.. how does it cope when it can't see the internet and how long does it take to boot from cold?.. it will get turned off at the wall every night.

KISS said:
thanks.. how does it cope when it can't see the internet and how long does it take to boot from cold?.. it will get turned off at the wall every night.

My Panny is only used purely for DVD/Blu-Ray and occasional CDs. I don't have apps nor do I use it for the internet. Can't tell you how long it takes to boot, as none of my kit (TV, Sky Box, Panny, hi-fi) is ever unplugged or switched off. Only use the 'stand-by' buttons on the remotes.

When I first purchased the Blu-Ray, it was up and running from cold in the time it took the remote control to respond. No time whatsoever (probably 2-3 minutes at a guess).

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
KISS said:

two things wrong with this post. The words dumb and BLUE! It's Blu for Christ sake! Nearly as annoying as people who spell bass as base. But to answer your question I would get one with wifi at least to do firmware updates as you might need them.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
KISS said:

two things wrong with this post. The words dumb and BLUE! It's Blu for Christ sake! Nearly as annoying as people who spell bass as base. But to answer your question I would get one with wifi at least to do firmware updates as you might need them.

why is "dumb" incorrect - simplify or reduce the intellectual content of something

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts